Just got NVD from Big 5

For $129.95 (that's with tax included), I just picked up a hand powered NV monoscope from Big 5 Sporting Goods store. Mounted atop of the unit is a rubber coated "energizer" which you depress to turn on the unit. The nifty thing about being handpowered is that you don't have to fuss with batteries. Of course, the disadvantage is that it'll grow dimmer and dimmer until you pump it up. It's about 5" long, 2.5" tall and 1.5" wide. It also comes with its own black nylon carrying case (with belt loop).

I suppose the easy accesibility of these units is proof that we won the Cold War.

Would love to hear more info once you get to play with it some.

Sounds slick for the price. Also, it avoids the battery problem that many devices have (you can't always get the batteries).

Played with it last night and found that it's ability to enhance ambient light isn't very good. It does require an external light source (moonlight or streetlights) for some clarity. In an almost lightless environment, it was difficult to discern anything. In an rear where some light is available, it works great. Happily, it did come with an infrared light source which is lithium battery powered. Have to run off to Radio Shack to pick up a battery and try it again later.

Will probably take it into the park during the night. It's time to play Phantom of the Park! :)

i picked up a NV monocular from Big 5 on july 4th.

hey yours wouldn't happen to be a famous trails 300 Ariel NV scope would it?

Yeah, GEN1 isn't all that great without an illuminator. You should try using it passively in a redwood forest--forget it, even with a full moon. Here its best use is for detecting movement from a fixed position. In open terrain I get a decent passive picture if there is a half-moon or better.

I don't know about your model, but the LED illuminator on mine is actually visable to the naked eye when you look straight at it (kinda defeats the purpose).

I've found my monocular to be very easy on batteries (10+ hours on two Duracell Ultra AAs).

All-in-all I've been happy with mine. Those of you in urban/suburban environments will find GEN1 more useful since there is so much more ambient light available. As long as your expectations aren't set too high it's worth getting, IMHO.

Now, only if I could afford some GEN3. ;)

bingo! when I have the money, I plan on getting me one of those expensive generation one million night vision scopes.

LOL. the LED illuminator defeats the purpose. are there any infrared lights that are invisible (when looking directly at it, of course)?

Back