Just got my first Beretta - a 92 first edition (I think)!

Pistolet_Perito

Hey all, I recently picked up what I believe to be an original Beretta 92 First Edition (the "straight slide" type), and I couldn’t be happier with it. Since I live in Europe, it’s not for EDC, but rather something I plan to use as a collector’s item and a range gun.

I haven’t had a chance to take it to the range yet, as they’re on holiday and closed for almost a month. In the meantime, I’ve given it some attention—cleaned it up thoroughly and replaced the recoil spring. In my opinion, it still looks great for a pistol of its age, even though I don’t know much about its history. I bought it from a Beretta dealer who primarily deals in hunting rifles and similar gear, and interestingly, it was listed on his site as a 92F.

One thing that’s going to take some getting used to is the heel magazine release, but with a bit of practice, I’m sure I’ll manage.

I’ve blurred the serial number in the photo, but it starts with a ‘B’ and ends with a ‘Z’. If anyone has tips on how I can find out exactly when this pistol was produced, I’d appreciate it. I’m not sure if it would make any difference if I emailed Beretta support, as I’ve read their records don’t go that far back anymore.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts or any experiences you’ve had with these early 92 models!

*Edit: A friendly Redditor pointed out that I should look for two letters inside a square near the trigger guard. Turns out mine has AE = 1979!

B-92A.jpg

B-92B.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a couple of Berettas with that style of magazine release and, while it may take getting used to if you're accustomed to the "American" location behind the trigger guard, I've never found it to be a hindrance in actual use. The reloading technique I've found to work the best is to retrieve the new magazine with the support hand first, hit the mag release with the thumb of the support hand while holding the new mag, and insert the fresh mag after the old one falls out (they usually drop free in my experience).

and insert the fresh mag after the old one falls out (they usually drop free in my experience).

I've never had one of the 92s, can't say if/how they are different, but if the magazine of a heel clip pistol drops free and falls out of the gun, it is different from any of the several other heel clip pistols I own or have owned.

None of them from .22 up to .45s lets the empty mag drop free. It MAY drop down slightly, but every one requires the empty mag to be withdrawn by hand.
Working the heel clip unlatches it, but you have to pull the mag out by hand, and my experience is that is the only way it works.

Check you pistol and see.

Some people consider this a drawback, and for years I thought so, as well, as it is slightly slower reloading than drop free designs, but then I looked at actual practical real world situations over pistol games played against the clock.

First point, the heel clip is nearly impossible to accidentally operate. Next point, it essentially forces you to retain contol of the empty magazine. It only drops to the ground if YOU choose to do that. A minor point when shooting on a range, even playing speed games, you can go back after the stage and pick up your empty mags.

Now shift to a survival type situation, one where its just you and what you have, there's no supply system to replace lost magazines. Or suppose you have an uncommon pistol, where spare, replacement magazines are lying around everywhere, and easy to get.

I've also had pushbutton release guns where the magazines don't always drop free. Never had a Browning Hi Power with the magazine disconnect let the empty mag drop free. Drop down a bit, yes, fall out, no. A magazine with a couple of rounds left in it is heavy enough to fall all the way out, but the empty mag was held in the gun by the mag disconnector rubbing on it.

Enjoy your new to you pistol. Looks like a fine example of the 92.

Just spoke to a friend, who had the model right after yours, different safety, same mag release. And he corrected me about it. I was mistaken when I took "heel magazine release" to mean the "heel clip" type, which is the most common.

It is not a heel clip, it is a pushbutton release, located on the heel of the grip frame and I am informed that mags do, indeed drop free. I am also informed that when, in later variants of the 92, the mag catch button was moved to the more usual position behind the trigger, that for at least a decade, perhaps longer, Beretta magazines had the slots in them to work in both the older guns and the new ones.

I do not know if the newest 92 mags have both slots, or not, but even if they don't there should be a decent supply of magazines that do, to serve as spares for your gun.

The Beretta USA website lists all the firearms the mags will fit so there's no confusion. I didn't check them all, but it looks like the M9/92FS mags will also fit the 92S and 92SB.

Nice pistol … Gen 1. Mod. 92 S
Taurus bought the rights to this style 1982 thereabouts.

I have the later type with the safety/ decocker on the slide ( dammit)
Actually , I should have waited for the 92 SB . @More scarce.
My 92 has a low round count , 95% orig. black & blueing. & Wood grips.
I think I’ll keep it around for a while longer to show it off & outshoot the
P-35 lookalikes ?

If its a 1st Gen 92, you should consider buying the newer "beefed-up" locking block and replacing the original one. The locking blocks were a weak point on those guns. The problem with waiting until they shatter/break is that the shards can lock up the action making it quite difficult and possibly damaging to get unlocked. Cheep upgrade/insurance. https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/beretta-92-96-3rd-generation-locking-block-kit-LE9201
Hi Skans,

Thanks for pointing this out, as I wasn't aware that this could be a potential issue. I compared my locking block to the one in this thread https://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=982738&postcount=21, thinking maybe the previous owner had already done the upgrade. But it was definitely the 1st gen locking block. So, I just bought the kit you recommended!

Appreciate the advice!

Your early 92 appears to be in great condition. My 92s were the later type. Shortly after the US military adopted the Beretta, I had to find out what all the hoopla was about. I bought a new 92 and proceeded to find out what kind of 9mm ammo would cause it to malfunction/jam, etc. I was unsuccessful in that effort. The Beretta was 100% reliable with any and all ammunition I tried. Just excellent, reliable pistols. Enjoy yours; you picked a good one for your collection..

First run 92s look like a 1951 slide on the double stack frame.

A club member here shot a Taurus with thumb safety so as to not put wear and tear on his Berettas or Sigs. He put a lot of rounds through that gun, replacing parts as necessary.

Back