just got an FR8

bergie

As the subject line says, I just bought an FR8. Imported by CAI. Reciever stamped FABRICIA DE ARMAS LA CORUNA 1950 on the top of front reciever ring, Cal. 7.62 on right side of front ring, FR8- 109xx on left side of reciever, matching # on bolt. Condition is VERY good. It did not have the sling, the cleaning kit, or bayonet. I had seen pictures of these before, but had never handled one. When I saw this baby on the rack, I had to have it, especially when I saw $50 on the tag.

Now, here are the questionable parts of the deal. I have never been too impressed with this dealer, not the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what I mean. He had the tag marked "noneshooter", and a sticker on the stock that said "parts gun 8mm". When asked why the sticker and tag, he replied that he had checked the headspace and it was way off. This was the reason for the $50. Purposely did not ask him about the 8mm .

I am not sure this guy has any space for his head, he is so full of s**t, and I'm wondering the way he has it tagged if he even used the right gauge. If he tried an 8mm gauge, it wouldn't fit of course, the chamber would be short for the gauge, and the headspace actually could be okay or not. If he did somehow figure out the right set of gauges for the caliber, was he using the go or the no-go, and does he even know the difference?

So basically, I spent $50 for a gun that I can't shoot, at least not until I can find a smith that I can trust to check it out. From what I can tell, most of the guys that think they are smiths in this area have a can of gunscrubber, a can of WD-40, a mill-bastard file, 2 screwdrivers (with the corners rounded off) a bfh, and a pair of visegrips. The guys in Topkick's "Continuing Saga" would be a godsend. I have found out about a good one about 60 miles away, unfortunately, he just had some kind of surgery and will not be working for a couple more weeks. Hopefully, it is okay, and the dealer is a bigger idiot than I thought, best probable outcome is that I can have the barrel set back and the chamber reamed. What should this cost? But it is a cool looking rifle even if it don't shoot.

bergie

when in doubt, empty the magazine!

Can't tell you if it is good or not, but if you get it checked out and it is usable you may well have gotten the deal of the year as FR-8 now routinly go for 250+

I like mine quite a bit.

I paid $130 for mine, 2 yrs ago. It had the top half of the front sight shade cut off, and I still thought I got a good deal.

Recoil and blast are noticeable, though... :D

I'm good to go!!! :D :D
Got off work a little early today and finally had a chance to make the 100 mile roundtrip to a decent smith. We visited for a while, He check the headspace and said it was good. He agreed that the guy that I bought it from must not have known what he was doing and used the headspace gauge for an 8mm Mauser. He gave it a clean bill of health, and commented that it was in very good condition, well worth the $50 dollar chance I took. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, maybe tomorrow I can sneak out for an hour.
Also want to say that if anybody is ever in Northeast NE and needs a smith, check out the Upper Missouri Trading Co. in Crofton NE. Doc Carlson is a great guy. Some of you may have seen his name in a magazine or book, he is quite well known for muzzleloader work that he does.
bergie

p.s. He also gave me an NRA "Charlton Heston is my president" bumper sticker. That makes 2 for my old binder. along with the window stickers and various other things to be found in or on my truck, I'm sure to fit the profile of a radical. (see the thread in gen. disc.)

Back