Just got an Astra A-100, Wanting to hear your experiences

Opie-IN

Just traded my Ruger MKII and $140 for it. I was wondering what everyones experiences have been with this Sig clone. Anything I should know about this gun? Thanks, Opie

I owned an Astra A-100 for a couple years before trading it in on a Sig P225. The A-100 is a servicable pistol with okay accuracy. The best thing about it is the feel of the grip and backstrap and the capacity of the magazine.

I loved the feel of the way the gun fit my hand--that gentle curve in the backstrap and the thick grip just fit my hand perfect. The 17 round mags meant I could shoot up 35 rounds without having to stop for a long reload (I had two magazines).

The pointability of the weapon was excellent as well; just pick it up off the bench and point it down range and you were guaranteed silhouette torso hits at 25 feet.

What I didn't like were the relatively rough machining of the steel and the lack of accuracy on aimed shots. When you field strip the weapon, the barrel just looks like a piece of cut seamless tube (no shining or buffing) and the interior of the slide is not very well finished (rough to the touch).

The frame mounted decocker really wanted to jar back hard on my thumb when operated--nothing near as smooth as the P-225.

The accuracy was not up to par with more expensive guns and probably won't come near the accuracy of the Mark II you traded in. It wasn't bad with my Astra, but it never grouped any tighter than 4" at 30 feet with aimed shots. I can shoot much tighter groups with the P-225.

I liked the Astra--for the money. But eventually I outgrew it and found the extra couple hundred it took to trade it in on a real mccoy Sig. At the time that I didn't have the extra cash, the Astra was more than good enough as a carry weapon. Once I had the cash, I bought the Sig and now I can see what I was missing.

I would call the Astra an "interim" gun. You'll like it.

But you won't "love" it.

Dunno how this thread popped back up again, but......

Sold it to make my house payment. Dont miss it at all.

Opie

Back