Just got a used Blackhawk, now I have some questions.

ExMB

I scored a used New model Blackhawk in .357 mag this weekend at a gunshow. The finish is 95+/-%. The factory grips had beem replaced w/ Hogues.

The mechanical seems to be in good shape, but I really don't know that much about revolvers. When the hammer is cocked should their be any play in the cylinder? It can move through a few degrees when cocked. Is there anything else to be concerned w/ that wouldn't be obvious?

Is there a way to tell the date of manufacture from the serial #?

This gun uses a transfer bar (I see a flat plate that moves in-between the hammer and firing pin when the trigger is pulled) correct? With his system it is safe to carry w/ 6 rounds chambered (hammer down on live cylinder), right?

Also any factory load (probably mostly range and plinking) or holster recommendations would be appreciated. Also any recommended aftermarket parts?

Oh BTW I gave about $200 for this gun, did I do OK?

Some Answers

First off for $200 you did pretty good. You have a sixgun that will outlast you and your childrens lifetimes.
Now as to your questions:
In any revolver there is a bit of play in the cylinder the problem is how much is too much. When a gun starts to spit leat its time for repairs if not and accuracy is good leave it be.
There is a way to date the gun from the serial number being a new model it has to date from 1973 to today through. Older guns would have a different action.
Speaking of actions YES that transferbar does allow you to carry six rounds safely.
As for factory loads it would depend what you want to do with this gun? hunt big game?, 180 grain corbons will do the job or 200 grain buffalo bore will. Plink? Just about any 38 reloads from wadcutters to cowboy loads. Small game ? See plinking ammo. Self defence? any of the 125 grain hollow point 357 loads.
A good general use load? Factory would probably the winchester 158 SWCHP +P 38's. or a handload consisting of 12 grains of 2400
under a 158 grain hard cast SWC.
There are a boat load of asscessories avaiable for this gunn from cowboy stuff to modern racegun type stuff. No drill scope mounts, grips, oversized base pins, spring kits, different shaped ejector rods (cressent & bullseye) Steel replacement ejector rod housings. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Yopu can obtain a new steel (or stainless steel)grip frame either from ruger (in regular style) or aftermarket in a birdshead design. All it takes is the wish and desire as well as the cash. Its even possible to obtain a 9mm cylinder and have it fitted to your gun if it did not come so (many do)
Hope this small amount of info helps.
For a whold host of info on sixguns and sa revolvers in genral come on over to the Sixgunner Discussion site we can be found at sixgunner.com
Tellen Deaf Smith sent you

You did well. There is a lot of god loading info out there regarding the .357 Mag. Besides sixgunner.com, loadswap.com will have some good stuff, too. Load at your own risk, as always. I've recenly picked up a .45 Colt Bisley, and decided that the Milt Sparks HSR or 200AW will be my holster for it.

Thanks Guys!

Sample: I checked Ruger's website before I saw your post. If you give them your serial # they will give you the gun's born on date, just call.

I will check out sixgunner.com. I am so excited to get some range time w/ this gun, but I just can not find a place to shoot in the northern Shennandoah valley, it is so frustrating.
jmlv: I like the idea of a wider ejecetor rod actuator. But that tip of the iceburg stuff scares me, I have already been eyeing the 1894 in .357 mag in my Marlin cat.
Steve Smith: I am a long way away from reloading, maybe some day. What is the difference in a Bisley?

Thanks again guys, I will report when I finally get to a range, or field or wherever.

Back