Just got a S&W Distinguished Combat .357

OuttaPhilly

Inactive
Tomorrow night is my first chance to take it to the range. It was a Christmas gift from my wife. 4" barrel, L Frame. Can't wait to try her out.

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I keep telling myself I don't care for "L-frames" but I recently passed on a 4", 586 and have been kicking myself ever since.

Man, that was a fine looking revolver.

In my opinion the S&W Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum is the finest double action .357 to come down the pike yet. I've owned and shot extensively the vaunted S&W Model 27, 28, and Colt Python, but when I got the 586 I never looked back.

The 586 has the same long cylinder as does the Model 19 so it will chamber and fire my heavy bullet handloads, plus it has the weight and heft for the .357 Magnum cartridge. And also has the S&W typically smooth double action let off very much like the pre-war S&W revolvers.

Bob Wright

"In my opinion the S&W Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum is the finest double action .357 to come down the pike yet."

I always thought that, with that underlug, it was the finest double barreled shotgun to come down the pike yet...

:D

Can you tell I'm not fond of full underlugs as a fashion statement?

Mike Irwin saith:

I always thought that, with that underlug, it was the finest double barreled shotgun to come down the pike yet...

Can you tell I'm not fond of full underlugs as a fashion statement?

No fashion statement for me, it just puts weight out where I like it.

And furthermore:

You must really have been amazed at the Winchester Model 94!

Bob Wright

I like L-frames, and the 586 is a great gun. But I have always been puzzled why almost all L-frames have a full underlug. The underlug does help to dampen recoil, but that weight is not too helpful if you want to carry the gun. My favorite L-frame is the 686 mountain gun, and I have always wondered why so few of them were made.

Back