Just got a S&W 610!

Stoic

I just got a S&W 610 with the 61/2 barrel. I can't wait to shoot it this weekend. I also have extra moonclips and a demooner on order.

This is a good companion to my Glock 20 and Glock 29. Can you tell that I like 10mm!

Stoic, Congrat's on your new purchase, your handle should be "10MM Man". Perhaps, one day in the near future I too
may own one of these fine firearms; but for now, I must
stick with my S&W 629 Classic w/5" barrel.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Stoic-congrats on the "new arrival!" Is it one of the recent-production guns with the unfluted cylinder, or did you happen to find one of the "original" guns with the fluted cylinder? No matter, the 610's are generally VERY GOOD shooters...let us know how your "get-acquainted" session goes!....mikey357

I recently added a 6.5" 610 to my collection to go along with my G20. I got it from the original owner who bought it back when they first came out. It is one of the original production witht he fluted cylinder and stamped barrel. Haven't had time to put it in my Ransom Rest yet but the little shooting I have done with it so far makes me think it will be my most accurate N frame, beating out my "1988" 5" 625.

Thanks for the good words guys. This is a later production model 610 with the unfluted cylinder which I like better. Also, I think that the later production model, which I just bought, comes with the match carbon trigger, hammer, and is also pre-drilled and tapped for a scope. I don't think that the original model with the fluted cylinder came with those options? Does anyone know? I can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

Be careful if you reload.

Make SURE you have sufficient case neck tension (LEE "U" undersized sizing die) because even the 40's will 'jump' under recoil, and I've seen both calibers lock up the gun from bullet jump...especially heavy-bullet "hot" tens.
Crimp alone won't do it...

(Cool guns, wish Ruger did the GP100 in 10mm, or even the Redhawk.)

S&W M610'S...GREAT SIXGUNS!!

I had one of the first ones ever made in for testing and write-up. The first 5-shot test group out of that finely rifled 5" barrel measured .75" c-to-c at 25 yards with factory ammunition, RP stuff if memory serves. It was just a wonderful shooting sixgun that shot everything well. After my testing was over it laid in my safe until I got the high sign from S&W, buy it or return it. Evidently while suffering through a severe case of rectal/cranial inversion, I returned it, never to be seen again.Yegads!!
I ended up missing it so much I had Hamilton Bowen build a single action sixgun in 10MM from an old model RUGER 357 BLACKHAWK that has been one of the most accurate revolvers ever to join my menagerie and know the peace and security of permanent housing and regular feeding. There are no flies in the 10mm sixgun ointment, I'll tell you.TM

I bought one of the 5,000 produced in 1990 from my neighbor in '97. It was NIB. What a great shooter! I tried the half-moon clips; pain in the bum. Full moonies are the way to go with an extractor tool (a must have with this gun). You can shoot .40 cal in 'em as well. A solid, well made piece and bound to appreciate considerably in value, especially in CA.

Hi all,

I went to the range today and shot the 610. It shoots like a dream. There is so little recoil with the N frame in the 10mm configuration. When shooting it with .40 S&W, it shoots like a .22.

The 610 is definitely more accurate than I am and is now the most accurate handgun in my collection. There was no problem shooting it in either single or double action mode.

The moonclips are actually helpful in reloading. The moonclips were equally easy to unload using the TK demooning tool.

This revolver is now my favorite handgun to shoot. I must confess that this is my first wheel gun! I enjoy shooting it even more than my Glocks in 10mm.

Am I becoming a revolver guy?

Maybe I'll have to explore .357 mag, and .44mag revolvers in the future? I wonder how the S&W 625 in .45acp handles? I can't believe I've overlooked revolvers for so long.

Back