Just got a S+W 296 in 44 Special...

gdhillard

I just bought a S+W 296 in .44 special, used, while out in Montana. Really ugly gun, but it seems like it could be a lot of fun, and fill some specific gaps in my current collection. I would love to hear from others about holsters, loads, and experiences with this gun. Thanks, Gary

Hello. I had one for a time, but just didn't care for it. Surprisingly, recoil was not as bad as expected.

On my particular gun, I noticed that it would chamber .44 Magnums in all five chambers. I notified S&W and they were kind of "ho-hum" in their response. I traded it back to the dealer I bought it from after mentioning what I just related.

The gun worked fine and hit poa pretty much, too.

Best.

gdhillard-is the 296 one of the newer ultra light weight 44 specials? Is yours the one with 3 in barrel and adjustable sights, or the one with shorter barrel, hump backed frame and fixed sights? A dealer has had one of the 3 inchers in his showcase for awhile, and may start listening to reason.:)

Would be very interested in your initial impressions of it.

"A dealer has had one of the 3 inchers in his showcase..." -- zeke

Is it a pre-sellout piece?

Friends don't let friends buy new *&*s...;)

I have a Model 296 that I use for carry in a briefcase or fanny pack. For this purpose, I wanted a gun that offered decent stopping power, and that wouldn't snag on velcro, zipper pulls, and fabric. The 296 is just about perfect.

As Mr. Camp says, recoil isn't as bad as one would think. My preferred load is Winchester 200 gr. Silvertips, which are not uncomfortable to shoot in the 296. I've also tried PMC 185 gr., which seems to be a hotter cartridge and produces more recoil than I want in a gun so light in weight.

In all, it's a good gun, although it does look strange!

BTW, this particular revolver sat in the case at the gun shop for over a year before I finally decided to buy it (definitely a pre-pact S&W). I guess it doesn't have a wide appeal. :)

Zeke & Zander - the 296 is a 44 special aluminium frame/titanium cyl "L" frame version of the bodyguard with the hump back to enclose the hammer. The 3" barrel adjustable sight gun is the 396 "Mountain Lite" - 44 Special aluminium frame/titanium cylinder "L" frame that they are trying to shoehorn into the big-bore stainless steel "Mountain Gun" series. While there are pre-agreement examples of the 296, the 396's are all post-agreement.

I was just up on the *&* website to verify all this info, and it's been totally redone; without all of the layers between the main page and where the guns are listed. Guess the buyout managed to get one thing changed.

Chris and Jimmy-Thanks for the information. Am really happy with S&W 696 and Speer 200 gn Blazer GD's, which has replaced the 45 acp with handloads beside the bed.

Zander-Your concerns are appreciated, but personally will let any fortunate person on receiving end decide how important pre-sell out is to them.:)

gdhillard, I tried to reply to your e-mail but could not, something about your address.

Yes, my 296 is quite a handfull, I had to change my grips to Pachmayers because of the recoil. I usually use the 200gr Blaser(Speer) GDHP loads, and they are quite powerful. I also use the Winchester Silvertips as they are much more comfortable to shoot. I like the piece a lot, it's a snubnose on steriods!

My Kramer MSP paddle holster carries the piece very comfortably and, though I need a coat to cover it, concealment is pretty good for a pistol this size. Up here it gets cold, and though I use a 9mm Sig during the summer, the heavier bullets are a comfort against heavy winter jackets and such. The 296 is my winter carry gun. Hope this helps.

Back