Just found out why you guys like shotguns.

Battler

I live in a city - my only experience with my Win 1300 defender was shooting slugs (all they allow) at an indoor range. Only really bought the thing "because I can".

Went to an outdoor range today with a couple of friends shooting pistol. I went off to the shotgun area (isolated) to pattern it with buckshot. The box I had set up for the targeting kept moving when I hit it. I soon figured out that I could play "kick the can" by rapid-firing at the box.

My buddy shows up at the shotgun area, so we went back to "sign him in" to the shotgun area. He's shot skeet before, so he decides to pick up a few targets. "Just get a few" I said "shooting skeet is dumb anyway" - but the woman suggests we take the crate and pay for what we use.

Okay, we're not pros - we just launched one of those red disc-looking things at a time; but had a blast. It started raining so hard I couldn't see through my glasses, and we STILL had a blast. The gun got so soaked through and through that now I have to go and pull it down to dry and oil its innards (barrel already taken care of though).

Never DID get around to patterning the gun properly - only really patterned 000 buck (I had many loads to try out). Hope I get around to it someday - won't be next weekend as we'll be back there with MORE shells, more skeet/trap targets and probably more shotguns.

Just how many shells CAN a shotgun/shotgun barrel take before wearing out?

cheers,
Battler.

Thousands, Battler. I recall Col Askins talking about some Remington Model 11s(think, Auto-5) shooting 10,000 rounds a year for the duration of WWII.

A local legend I know on the clays and trap courses says he shoots 500-2000 rounds a month, has for decades, and hasn't shot out a shotgun yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Battler:

Just how many shells CAN a shotgun/shotgun barrel take before wearing out?

[/quote]

Why don't you try and find out? Put 100 rounds through your Winchester each day until something breaks. Get back to us when you do. I'd expect to hear from you in about 5 years. :D

Pump shotguns are pretty simple devices and they rarely break. Most of the ones I've seen with problems were caused by poor maintenance and/or neglect. The other good thing about pumps is that even if something does break, it's an easy fix and your gun is a good as new.

Shooting skeet dumb? :eek: Now that you know better, get to a trap range. Lots of good threads here in the last 60 days on skeet and trap.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Back