Just curious with a 410 shotgun question

Lakota

Do any of y'all hunt with slugs in a 410 shotgun. I am just trying to find out what is the accuracy and kill range would be. I have shot many of rabbits,squirrels,dove and small game with a 410, but never tried larger game with a slug. And if so do you think it would be a good survival gun being it can be used for small and large game.

The 410 slug is extremely light for its caliber, which results in poor penetration. Fired from a shotgun it won't be particularly accurate either. I'm sure it's possible to kill a deer with it, but it's more likely to wound one.

Get a real rifle.

Even though the .410 with slugs is legal for harvesting deer in many states
it's a poor performer on game that large.
Accuracy at 50 yards will be a function of your sights & ability to shoot.
If your s.g. has no proper sights how accurate can it possibly be?
Just common sense.
.410 slugs are a very poor choice for use on deer size game.
Sure the little slug will kill a deer, so will a .22 long rifle but hardly a good choice.
Buy some 5 packs of slugs, put up a paper plate at 50 yards & try shooting slugs at that with whatever sight your s.g. has.

I have many real rifles and hunt with them all the time.
But like I said I was just Curious. I was in Gander and saw the slugs and new nothing about them in a 410, so I just figured I would ask.

Thanks

Always ask.
I have just one .410, a Rossi single shot that I occasionally use for squirrles & rabbits.
Since we have a feral dog & yote problem I carry a couple .410 slugs & buck that should be effective to 30 yards maybe.
I shoot on paper to see point of impact & pattern.

Likely, not legal in Iowa ???

The last time I looked, it was illegal to hunt deer, in Iowa, using .410 slugs. I will follow-up with a confirmation on this and reply, later. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

.410 Slugs, not legal for deer, in Iowa

Well, it turns out that .410 Slugs, are not legal for hunting deer, in Iowa. I suspect that there are many states where this is true, especially in the Midwest. .... ;)

Even though the .410 with slugs is legal for harvesting deer in many states
it's a poor performer on game that large.

That is the main reason that was given ..... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

why

I'm not sure why the ammo companies even made .410 slugs over the years. They may persist now due to all the .410 handguns (another curiosity in my book), but as a sporting load, I never saw the purpose.

Seems like a .410 slug weighs 87 grains (that is from memory). Somebody will tell us the correct weight and the velocity as well. And neither are much, and launched from a bead sighted, field gun, usually pointed by a kid. A sure combo for failure and disappointment.

I've never seen an adult carry one for deer. I suspect some of that ammo gets bought by folks who only own one rifle, too much gun for a child, and a 12 ga, again too much gun, or maybe no guns at all. But the kid had a .410 given to him by somebody as a gift, so they buy them a box of slugs so he can hunt with Uncle Charlie. Nobody will spring to buy the kid a usable rifle, but they will shell out a couple of bucks for a 5-pack of poodle slugs.

The 3" magnum .410 slugs are 110 grains at 1700 fps. Close range, they would be very similar to a 110 grain .357 magnum. I'd still go with something else, but that is not trivial, and a heck of a lot more than a .22LR.

I know of people that have deer hunted with them but I've always heard no more than 30 yards. I've also heard you're better off with a bow.

The .410 slugs I've seen were all 90 grains at 1300 fps. That combo is like a projectile from a .243 at about 40% velocity. I'm sure it may work but why?

I learned on a .410. Great gun for birds, snakes and shoebox sized animals at 25 yards, but it and a slug really are the wrong weapon combo for deer. In that instance it is best used for alerting all animals bigger than a rabbit in the area.
If you want to / are required to use a shotgun for deer, get a 12-20 gauge.

INteresting

Ya'know, I've never seen a 3" .410 slug, in fact, I didn't know they made such a thing. EVERY .41o slug I've ever seen, and the handful I have down in the ammo chest, are the shorties.

Winchester makes a 3" .410 slug (0r they did in the recent past) I have some.

1/4 oz and listed on the box as 1800fps.

Remington 2 1/2" slugs are listed as 1/5 oz. No velocity given.

An old copy of Cartridges of the World says the velocity of a .410 slug is 1630fps (no weight given).

In the article about the .410, the author states that while .410 slugs are too light for deer, they are good for smaller game, and, in guns with sights, like the Savage Model 24 combo gun, can hit a rabbit at 100 yards. Although about half that is more realistic with regular shotguns.

I've shot .410 slugs from a Contender, and they are no slouch as a handgun round, but not up there with true magnum handguns performance. Heavy loaded .45 Colt walks all over the .410 slug for any usual purpose, and even standard loads use a bullet twice as heavy as the .410 slug, if somewhat slower.

.410 Solids

While the factory-loaded .410 shells, with solids, might be unimpressive, the .410 lends itself to some interesting hand-loads. I have loaded 180gr 8mm cast bullets in .410, which seem to work OK. Don't have a chronograph to check fps. Also load 158gr cast .38wc bullets, using .45 sabots in .45lc brass, which also seem to work well....

Granted, a proper rifle will always be preferable, but I find it interesting what the .410 can do...

interesting

A sabot loaded .410.......now you don't hear about that every day.

How does a saboted 8mm slug stabilize though a smooth bore? I'd think the accuracy would be nonexistant. The traditional slug, hollow at the base, at least has some design feature intended to keep it flying point forward. It would almost make more sense to load a conventional bullet backward in the sabot!!!!

How far (as in distance) has that sabot 8mm been paper tested?

I don't know anything about muzzle loaders and never really cared about them. Seems to me there is not much difference between a .45 Flintlock or a .410 at close range. Just a piece of lead. People just do not like .410's.

Back