Just Curious, Concealed Carry Question

Tony C

This is just to soothe my curious nature, but I have a question for everyone who is willing to answer.

I have carried a handgun almost daily since I was 18 and went into the Army. After the army, in my LEO days, I carried a S&W 686 on my side (that gives you an idea how long ago it was) and a Walther PPK/S on my ankle.

Post LEO work, my daily carry switches back and forth from my 4.25" 1911 and my S&W 642.

So, I was watching a video by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch the other day. (As a side-note, I have great respect for Clint and what he is and has done for the shooting community.) In this video, Clint was sharing that he not only carries his concealed pistol on his waist, a 1911 I believe, but also carries a handgun on each ankle.

So here is my question. Since I left LE, I haven't carried a back-up to my primary carry gun. My thoughts have been that since my carry gun is concealed, I shouldn't need a back up because having it should be a surprise. I understand the argument that it could fail, but the two that I carry are as reliable as can be.

How many of you, not while on duty as LEO or similar, carry a back up to your primary concealed handgun, and what are your thoughts on the issue?

Again, if you would entertain me and answer, I appreciate your feedback, and let's keep this friendly!

Regards,
Tony

The handgun I carry is a reliable weapon. I see no reason to carry a back-up gun. As a private citizen what are the chances of me actually needing the extra fire power. Keep your nose clean and be aware of andv stay away from high risk areas.

While it’s impossible to know exactly what may happen on any given day I do try my best to consider the risk and respond accordingly. As an average citizen living in a fairly low crime suburban neighborhood I’ve made the decision that I don’t need multiple guns or even extra magazines. Now, depending on the specific situation this could change, but in general one is enough for me.

As to my own situation, I feel I am most vulnerable while pumping gas at a service station/convenience store. Carjacking here is on the rise, due, in part, to anti-theft measures on modern autos; carjacking is easier than theft.

That being said, I don't feel a back-up gun is necessary. Should my Ruger fail me, I'm probably dead or badly wounded before I could get to a back-up.

Other times, I'm often in the company of many other gun toters.

Bob Wright

In this video, Clint was sharing that he not only carries his concealed pistol on his waist, a 1911 I believe, but also carries a handgun on each ankle.

Everyone must realistically evaluate were they live, work, and travel. Unless your live in, or near, a high-crime 'urban' area (read: the ghetto), carrying around 3 pistols is kind of ridiculous for a civilian. If you broke down the stats of most carry permit holders across the country, I'll bet money most of us are: white, middle-to-upper class, live in low-crime rural or suburban neighbourhoods. If you meet that criteria, your much more at risk getting in a bad car accident than having to use a firearm in self defense, but you don't see internet threads about people worrying if they took enough defensive driving lessons, have the best handling car, etc.

Most of us will go our whole lives without the need of one gun, let alone three. However, it is everyone's right to carry whatever handgun, and however many, they feel the need to. I've got no beef with that, carry 10 if you want. Is it necessary, absolutely not for almost all of us. If, unfortunately, you DO live in one of those aforementioned 'urban' areas, then I could see some wisdom in carrying at least one backup. I lived in, or close by, some shady areas of Savannah and Atlanta for years, and was carjacked at gunpoint in Savannah back in '04 while un-armed. If I lived in those areas again I would definitely carry two guns, because I know how easily bad things can happen in the city.

Realize, though, that the major industry firearm training figures, guys like Clint Smith, James Yeager, Gabe Suarez, etc, are promoting a firearm lifestyle, while simultaneously promoting themselves and their business. Part of cultivating the image of a knowledgeable, low-drag/high speed 'operator' type is acting like you can't go down to the grocery store without carrying 2-3+ handguns on you, and an AR/AK in your car trunk. Because then, of course, you will need to take their classes, watch their videos, visit their website, buy the same gun brand they have advertising and sponsorship deals with, etc, just to be able to effectively use your portable arsenal in case the collapse of western society happens on your way to work. Business... Don't believe me, just look at how many new tactical/self defense/survival type gun mags have sprung up just in the last ten years. Promoting this firearm 'lifestyle' is BIG BUSINESS.

Carry what you want, and as many as you want. Just remember everyone has an angle...

The BUG (Back Up Gun) is one of those things that you might need in a one in a million situation. As a cop knowing I was putting myself in harm's way regularly I would likely have a BUG tucked away. As an armed civilian I am betting the one in a million situation will never come up and I carry one defensive handgun. If it does come up, I'm screwed. But the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor.

If you wear both a belt and suspenders because you want to be absolutely sure, you might be a candidate for a 2nd. gun.

I'm strictly non-LEO. I rarely carry a backup. The only time I do is when I know I'm going into a rougher area of town for an extended period and sometimes not then. As others have said, you get to the point of diminishing returns.

I understand the argument that it could fail, but the two that I carry are as reliable as can be.

I'm confused. Are you carrying a BUG or was that a typo...

I rarely carry a back but due to all the global warming (;)) my CCW has been buried beneath a coat, fleece, hoodie and sweater, so accessibility to it is near impossible on the fly. As a remedy, I've been occasionally slipping a J-frame in my front coat pocket once and a while.

I'm a cop, I carry a second gun on and off duty. however, off duty my second gun is quite smaller. on duty I am required to go to the problem, off duty I am not.

Part of cultivating the image of a knowledgeable, low-drag/high speed 'operator' type is acting like you can't go down to the grocery store without carrying 2-3+ handguns on you, and an AR/AK in your car trunk.

That's it exactly

Shadi Khalil

Shadi,

Good question. I carry just one at a time, but when I carry it is one of these two, my DW 1911 or my S&W 642.

Tony

I settled on my LC9s as myultimate self defense only if needed. I do not need to add a flame thrower, lock blade knife, nun-chuck, etc. for a back up. My ready chambered Hornady Critical Duty rounds 7+1 9mm, plus regular practice at the range is all I need in my town. However, if your city like many large metropolitan areas are higher in crime and you have been a victim of crime even once, I can understand your thinking you might loose your first defense in a fight, and need a second and third chance after you've been accosted if not killed.

I've never felt the need to carry a back up. Chances are I will never need my primary and even less that I will need my back up.

That being said, I have zero issues with any one that does carry a back up. Prepared is in the eye of the beholder.

If you wear both a belt and suspenders because you want to be absolutely sure, you might be a candidate for a 2nd. gun.
*smiles*

Sounds like the general consensus is the one I hold as well. I can understand someone not in LE carrying a BUG and certainly wouldn't chastise them for doing so. For myself however, I don't really see the need. Mind you I live just outside of St. Louis, MO. and my job as a service electrician carries me across the Mighty Mo river daily into some pretty nervy areas of down town. That said I don't see the real need for more than my 5 shot revolver and one speed strip in my pocket. I hope never to 'need' that.

I carry a BUG on a regular basis. Pretty much always have too.

Having one gives you options and options are good. Nothing to do with cool or tactical, just practical.

I suppose if its considered "extreme", thats simply a matter of opinion, and maybe perception. Some may consider two guns extreme, where I consider those who only carry what I consider a BUG as a primary, extreme in the negative.

Personally, I think my extreme makes more sense. :)

But, if you feel comfortable with less, have at it. If things should ever go south, we all get to live with our choices.

Different people place different priority levels on different things.

Some people carry a gun, a spare magazine--or maybe two spare magazines, a spare gun, pepper spray, a knife--maybe two, etc. Some people rely on the goodwill of their fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles.

Some folks wouldn't leave the house without a flashlight. Some folks never carried a light until they realized they could download a flashlight app for their phone.

Some people have fire extinguishers, smoke detectors and security systems and check them all on a regular basis. Some people think that locking their doors at night provides a high level of security.

Some folks smoke, don't exercise, drink to excess and eat an unhealthy diet. Some put physical fitness and good health above all else.

No matter which course of action you take, it will likely be easy to find people who have gone as far, or maybe further, in that direction than you have. It will be easy to find people who think you're a nut for going as far as you have.

If you find yourself carrying so much stuff that absolutely no one is matching your initiative (for example, carrying all of the following: 5 guns, three lights and spare batteries for each of them, 10 spare magazines, two knives, 3 cell phones, two types of self-defense spray, a taser and 3 spare cartridges, a stun gun and spare batteries for it) then maybe it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate your sanity.

Likewise, if you find yourself thinking that throwing away the spare tires in your vehicles and removing the airbags and seatbelts is a good way to save on gas; if dropping all your insurance (car, health, homeowners) seems like a good way to save money; if you rip out your security system, smoke detectors and throw away your fire extinguishers because they get in the way and are a pain; if you take the locks off your doors because they are a hassle then maybe you need to seek professional help.

In between there's a pretty wide range of behavior that can pass for "reasonably normal".

I've never carried a spare gun and I don't know anyone else who does. I don't think carrying a spare gun constitutes extreme behavior, but, on the other hand, I know people who think carrying a single gun constitutes extreme behavior. I typically carry a spare mag and a flashlight--some people think that is overkill.

So is what is "normal"? Depends on who you ask. But that said, we can all be smart (and sane) in how we address the issue of preparedness.

Here's what I think we all need to be able to do. We all need to look at our OVERALL readiness situation and balance our preparedness across the board. Before you spend time and money to equip yourself with a second carry gun, take a CPR class, buy a fire extinguisher for your car (or at least for your home), learn how to change a tire on your vehicle, upgrade the security on your doors at home, start an exercise program, carry a spare magazine (and learn how to reload rapidly), carry a flashlight (and learn how to shoot in low light with it), take some basic self-defense/situational awareness classes, take a defensive driving class, get current on your vaccinations, etc.

There's a tendency for us to focus exclusively on one narrow area of readiness that interests us and to largely ignore the rest.

If you look at what you're doing in the name of preparedness/readiness and don't see a reasonable balance across the board then what you're doing doesn't make sense--it can't be justified in the name of preparedness. You aren't really being prepared, you're either trying to convince yourself that your hobby is more useful than it really is, and/or you're using "preparedness" as a cover for a specific phobia/paranoia.

Back