Just bought first revolver how did I do?

Big B

I bought a S&W 442 2in. barrel five shot .38 special Airweight. I also got 4 holsters including a DeSanti and a Bianchi, 2 spare sets of grips, HKS speedloader, and 2 Bianchi speed strips, and a brand new belly band.

The gun has 100 rounds through it and is in excellent condition and the holsters have basically never been used.

I got all of this for $300.00 plus shipping ($20).

Did I do alright?

BB-
Very nice piece and the extras will add to you
enjoying your S&W. One thing's for sure, if you master the 442 to the point where you can place
5 under 3" at 50 feet you will be on your way to RevoHeaven. BEST....dewey

I just picked one up with 100 rounds through it for 200 bucks but no extras so I'd say you did good...by me they are 369.00 new, add tax and you're looking at 400. You're holsters alone shoud be worth at least 75 and about 15 for the loaders so you got as good a deal as me...nice going.

That's a great gun for a great price. You did just fine, especially with all that leather thrown in. The 442 is an outstanding carry gun. I'd consider it a good day if I got to land one at that price with all the extra loot thrown in.

For ammo...

That beastie is gonna kick with heavy +Ps. Per several sources, Remington is brewing up the hottest "Chicago loads", the 158 +P LSWC-HP. I'm pretty sure that gun can take a limited diet of those, but they're gonna sting :).

If you're not very experienced with stout recoil, you might consider scoring some Federal 125grain Nyclad hollowpoints, standard pressure. These were intended as a low-pressure defensive load that would open up despite mild velocity. They're cheap as defensive fodder goes, they're mild enough that you can train and practice with the same load. www.ammoman.com sometimes has good deals on 1,000-rd lots of these that'll add up to cheaper than most gunshop FMJ target stuff bought 50rds at a time.

The other low-recoil snubbie choice is supposed to be the 110grain Hydrashock Personal Defense stuff. These suck. Testing shows velocity is abnormally low for something that light, and they don't open. I abandoned them and learned to deal with the Chicago Loads :). But I've been trying to find some of that Nyclad 125 in +P flavor, for experimentation.

You did just fine.

If I may jump in on the ammo suggestion bandwagon.

Factory wadcutters are remarkably underrated. They are light in recoil, uniform even between brands, and that shape transmits a lot of shock.

BTW, i dumped the uncle mike's boot grip since I hate rubber grips.....clothes tend to stick to them and ride up...also the checkering bothers my skin when wearing in the pants...I found a great pair of black hard nylon hideout grips at Brownells for only 15 bucks with finger grooves...they also make them without.....exact same size as the boot grip and they look great...

You made an excellent deal...

and if I can make a suggestion. I also own and carry a S & W 442 and have found it to be an outstanding gun. But, as you will find, all snubbies require a lot of practice to become proficient. The advice, practice, pracitice, practice. Good shooting.

Back