just bought an old S&W m36 snub - are these any good?

bullbarrel

I was at a gun store today and was trying to sell my gun. I ended up trading it for a snub-nosed .38 revolver since I wanted one and got a model 36 with 2" barrel, blued-steel, square-butt grip. It was used, the serial number started with 3, and the guy said it was an older model from the 60's. The gun had a square release latch. He said their quality-control was a lot better back then.

I liked it right away out of all their snub-nosed revolvers.

I don't think I got a good price for it as this store seems to have higher prices. Their price on this gun was $329, and I ended up paying $200 + tax in addition to giving them my old gun (it wasn't worth that much). I looked at GunsAmerica and there seems to be a wide range of prices on these 36's, usually $250-300. Anyway, I think I could've gotten a better deal if I hadn't made an impulse buy, but it was a sweet little pistol.

There were some scratches on the cylinder but I can lightly re-sand and re-blue.

So my questions are:
Are these guns pretty good as far as snubbies go? Accurate, won't break down, durable?

Are the older ones more pricey? It seems that way on GunsAmerica.

What is the general consensus about these S & W model 36's? I never had a revolver before, but this one looks like it can follow me anywhere - camping trips, etc.

Thanks for all your comments.

The 36 is a good little gun, but it needs better grips. I have the round butt version and it's a bear to try to hold onto it. With bigger grips, it's no problem at all. They are reliable and will last a lifetime given proper maintenance and ammunition. This brings me to the last part: no +p ammo in it. It's too hot for the older guns.

Here is an excellant thread on revolver check out by Jim March.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

I have used 36s for work and play for over 40 years and think they are excellant revolvers. The short barrel and fixed sights take some getting used to but once it gets to know you it will be a very accurate and fast gun.

Tho it will handle a few hot loads, recommend you not use +P ammo in it. You don't know who it's been with before it met you.

Sam

S&W 36

Bull,Those are great little guns ;) I sort of have found myself collecting them and the model 37's
I like them, and as stated above No +P's.
I bought a LNIB snubbie 36 not to long ago and paid less than $250. for it.
It will make a "Good Little Follow Me Anywhere Gun" :)
Just as a side note, Sgt. Joe Friday carried one of those on Dragnet, If I remember correctly that particular gun just went for $5000. at auction :)

Good Luck with it and Happy Shooting ;)

Great little gun's Bull,

as the S&W model's 36 and it's stainless counterpart,
the model 60 are my favorite's.:D Add a set of Hogue's
bantam grip's and you are set to go.:) If the weapon
is mechanically sound, it should not present any problem's.
You might could have gotten a better deal; but if you are
happy, thats all that really matters.:cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

They were the basic off duty gun for the NYPD and other dep`ts for years. We had a bunch of the older ones like you have at the range for recruit training. They took a beating and we very rarely had trouble with them.

They take a little getting used to because of their size. The factory grips are best for concealment but as noted above, they`re not comfortable. They`re strictly for personal self defense and many old time cops will swear by them.

+Ps were authorized for the street but with the new rounds available you have a better variety of non +Ps than years ago.

I agree with Ala Dan, get some Houge Bantam grips.
They're about $20.

My 36 really likes Federal Hydra-Shok 110 gr.
That's what it shoots the best.
:cool:

I carry one as a back up and as my off duty gun. It is a great little revolver. Shoots real well and is pretty accurate.
Clem
USMC Retired

Thanks

I appreciate the comments. I have been reading around and saw it's a well-liked revolver. Total paid for me, tax included, is $316 - could've gotten it for less, but am happy with it, since I tend to like old but high quality firearms - with blued all-carbon steel, etc.

I won't shoot +P in it like recommended.

The reason I got this gun was because there was a crime in my apartment recently where a guy was ambushed at 3 AM returning to his apartment and forced into his own place where he was physically assaulted. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, so this was weird - isolated incident? don't know. Anyway, I don't feel safe walking to and from my car anymore esp. at night so I'm buying this SW 36 for its concealability (my CZ 75B) is too big.

At this point in my gun-interest I like revolvers over semi-auto's. Maybe I'd get a SW 940 in 9mm someday.

Needless to say, this SW 36 will have a VERY practical purpose for as long as I live in this apartment, which won't be long as soon as my lease expires.

I could've gotten cheaper revolvers - Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms -and I'm sure they're all quality enough, but gun-buying is a very emotional love-hate thing for me, so I'll pay more for a gun I will LOVE instead of just like. Better to have few guns you absolutely love, than to a have a litter of guns you just like.

Thanks! BB

improving the grip of a 36

It is not as easy to find grips for a square butt 36 but
at gun shows one can sometimes find exotic grips that
look much nicer than the soft rubber ones. If you happen
to find such a buy for your J frame, consider the product
sold at http://www.kaeskorner.com/tgrip/ which is an
add-on grip improvement that will not hide the beauty
of exotic grips.

Don't take the first grips that come along. Shop a while
and if you decide to replace the original wood grips you
can still get them from S&W's website at http://www.smith-wesson.com/index.html
- they are about $28 plus shipping. And while there, they sell
decent logo gun boxes (plastic) for only $9 each.

Good luck in your quest.

I love my 36. It's the perfect snubby .38. Reliable, accurate (for the 1-7/8" bbl), and fun to shoot. I do agree that a new grip is in order. I still have the original grips on mine, and they do start cutting into the hand after awhile. Even if yours will handle +P, don't do it. I checked with S&W, and they told me that mine would handle them. The gun handled them just fine, but my hand didn't fare so well.

You made a wise selection in a concealable .38. The cops loved them for a reason.

I am well pleased

As soon as I picked up the Model 36 from the gun store I immediately headed to the gun range and shot 100 rounds of UMC 130 gr FMJ.

It is a very pleasant shooter which now makes it a great gun for me - small, well-balanced, fun to shoot.

This is the first Smith and Wesson gun (also only) and I have to say they make a fine quality firearm. I also like the fact that this one's a classic - blued steel and wood grips. The young guy behind the counter cleaned my revolver and he seemed a little suprised how smooth the action still is after all these years - almost 40 years - WOW! By the way, the gun range focuses mainly on modern autos - a lot of Glocks, Sigs, etc. so they might not see something this old so often.

If the gun is still working this well after this many years, I'm sure it will last for many more years to come.

I might buy more 36's! Unless, there are other guns I enjoy as much as this one.

the diminutive 36 variant

The S&W Ladysmith, though originally marketed for women
is a tad more concealable. Used (it's no longer in production)
I've seen pricing from $275 to $350.

Attached medium quality image is certified virus free.

Best regards.

Attachments

• ladysmit.jpg
    ladysmit.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 59
I have a 36 of similar vintage. I bought it a year and a half ago for $250. It has about 90% of it's finish and stag grips (square frame). I added a Tyler T-Grip. I also changed the hammer to a bobbed one and installed a smooth trigger (had a grooved one).

Chris

I have a M36 3in Barrel.Australian Police issue new in 1979.
I prefer the standard wooden grips because they are small and help with the concealment.
One fault this gun has had concerns the firing pin.I have broken two of them.I noticed that the strike was slightly off centre so next fix the hammer will be shimmed to position the hit dead centre.Otherwise they are a handy little gun and quite adequate for accuracy at reasonably close distances.I might add that,in my case anyway,the accuracy depends more on the shooter than the gun.

Model36/J frame hammer shroud

The folks at http://www.wallerandson.com/
manufacture and sell a flip up hammer shroud
in blue and SS which can be used to help
gun withdrawal in CCW.

attached file is certified virus free.

Attachments

• hamrshrd.jpg
    hamrshrd.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 46
Back