Just bought an Enfield No.1 Mk III

Bob S

Just went to a small pawn shop and found an old Enfield No.1 MkIII hiding in the corner. The wood is really beat up, but no visible cracks - just looks rough from handling, the bolt is very solid and the barrel is fairly bright with good rifling. I bought it for $60.00. Now I have some questions:
1. Is it safe to shoot?? It seems very solid, is this giving me a false sense of security? Basically I want to know if there is any danger of it blowing up in my face?
2. I was actually looking for a No.4 Mk I or II, how does this older No. 1 compare??
3. Any other comments on the No. 1 would be greatly appreciated.... any "must have" accesories that I should be looking for?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I would recommend old Greek ammo from AIM or British in a 288rd box from JGSales...older Canadian or British from other sources had not been less well preserved. S&B is also decent and not too costly.

I am not sure how to check for safety, excep that these guns tend to be fairly foolproof...but I bought a P14 which is the most massive overbuilt .303 ever made. Having a gunsmith check the bolt and chamber for damage would be the first choice for me. I think your rifle might have less refine sights but possibly better craftsmanship than wartime Enfields.

Have it headspaced or if you've got a friend in the auto business, magnafluxed for defects.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I've got a No.I Mk. III as well, and have been very pleased with it. You definitely should have the rifle headspaced before firing it. The sights on the No. 4 are much better, they're mounted on the receiver instead of way out there on the barrel like on the Mk. I. My rifle was mfd. in 1919 and is very well constructed. It has a synthetic stock (which I recommend if you're going to hunt with it) and is accurate & powerful enough for hunting just about anything. Of course, if you modify it, it will never be a "collector's item," but I bought mine to use. Overall, it's a neat rifle with a lot of history behind it. Accessories can be found from Cheaper Than Dirt as well as from Classic Arms (look in Shotgun News). S&B ammo is fairly inexpensive and noncorrosive--be careful if you shoot old mil. surp., as some of it was corrosive. You've got yourself a fine rifle that will last the rest of your life if you take decent care of it. Those Enfields are built for the long haul! Happy shooting--

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

Like everyone suggest you should check the head space of the rifle. Check the barrel for pits too. Pits do not directly affect safety but gives you an idea how well the rifle was cared for.

The Austrailian and Indains manufactured No. 1 MK III well into WWII. What is the date of manufacture on your rifle?

The No. 1 MkIII feels much better balanced and solid than the No. 4's. I'm not sure why that is since the No. 4 has a heavier barrel and stronger bolt. The No. 4 has a standard peep sight which is better than the v on the No. 1 Mk III.

As for accessories, the bayonet and sling ar a must have item. Other useful additions are: Parker and Parker and Hale made a target peep sights, long range sights, and wire cutting attatchments.

I saw a guy hit a 12" gong at 300 yrds 3 times in a row. After the 3 rd time he said this is boring and looked for more challenging targets.

Will

What number is stamped on the bolt head (lower is better)?

I'd suggest a thorough cleaning and a good visual inspection by none other than you. If you really want to play it safe, have it headspaced. If I'm not mistaken, headspace isn't nearly as critical with rimmed cartridges, like .303, as it is with the rimless type. If extraction is less than easy, or if there are telltale signs on the spent brass, you'll probably have to headspace. This latter route is the one I took with my No4 Mk2.

You need a sling, stripper clips (preferably in a bandolier), firing pin removal tool, bayonet, and some odds and ends.

Back