Just bought a Ruger M77 30-06 not sure if it's a Mark II or Hawkeye

I recently purchased a Ruger M77 30-06 and dont know how to distinguish between the mark II and the Hawkeye. When it was purchased it was described as a Mark II but when reading the descriptions for the Hawkeye it says the hawkeye has a red recoil padwhich is on my 30-06. Any input would be welcome.

The new Hawkeye rifles will have a red recoil pad, matte black finish on the barrel, and a rounded fore end on the stock.

The MKII had a black recoil pad, polished blued finish on the barrel and reciever, and had a much "squarer" stock shape.

M77 ; Mark II ; Hawkeye

The Mark II will be marked as such on the drivers side of the reciever, perhaps you have an older tang saftey model with a red pad, obviously these are not marked Mark I or II just M77, and of course they have the tang saftey. One picture of the reciver and we could get this sorted out lickity split

My older Ruger M77 does not have Mark I or II on it but it does have a red recoil pad. By the way, it shoots great!

Thanks Guys

Thank You guys for the info I pretty much got it narrowed down as an old Ruger M77. It just says Ruger M77 on the action and like I said it has the red recoil pad.

Back