Just bought a new Pedersoli 12 guage

Alex Johnson

After being out of the muzzleloading shotgun game for about five years I just reentered with a brand new Pedersoli 12 guage. Purchased at Cabelas bargain cave for $266. Over the next few months until waterfowl season opens I will get the deluxe shotgun bag from Track of the Wolf that comes with a snake shot bag installed in the strap, a period style shotgun powder flask, wads, and bismuth shot, I figure the ducks are going to be in harms way here in the Dakotas by October. So tell me, how many other TFL's hunt with muzzleloading shotguns and what do you use?

I like all of Pedersoli's guns. I have owned several of their rifles and one pistol. They all have been very good quality.

I have never hunted waterfoul but I have put some other critters in the bag with muzzleloading shotguns.

I used the same measure for shot and powder. If you want a tight pattern you use a thin overshot wad. A thick one makes the shot scatter more.

I hunt doves with my old CVA single barrel 12gauge and a Navy Arms double. The CVA has screw chokes. I can't remember who actually made the double. I use a period hunting bag and have an "irish" shot bag with a built in shoulder strap. My success rate is not great, but I have fun. It is fun to watch my hunting buddies laugh when I shoot the smokepole.....:D

My neigbhor has one of the old CVA shotguns with the screw in chokes. It shoots good tight patterns.

He has killed a lot of small game with it.

I am sure the shotgun is doing it's job. I've just never shot it enough to get really good with it. It is darn fun to shoot though.. By the way, it came in a two barrel set, one .50 cal and one 12 gauge. CVA made different thickness barrels in different rifles ( measurements across the flats ) If memory serves me correctly, this one was 1" across the flats. I put it in a lathe and turned the barrel in front of the stock just enough to make it round. I think it looks really good now with the rear being octogon and the front round. It is about time I pull it out and shoot it again. Been shootin' 45/70 black powder lately.

Back