Just bought a GP-100...

Glock_Racer

I got the SS, full shroud, w/ 6" barrel. Ok this will be my first "wheelgun". I'm familiar with semi-auto handguns and do not have much experience with revolvers. So I will be asking newbie questions:

1. Is it ok to dryfire w/out using snap caps?

2. I would like to lighten the trigger pull. I bought the Wilson tuning kit that included RP 9, 10, and 12 lb. hammer springs; RP 8 and 10 lb. trigger return springs. Will this be enough to modify trigger pull?

3. Care and maintenance?

1. Yes, you can dry fire it with no problems.
2. I read someplace that the 10 lb. hammer spring is ideal.
3. Buy a can of Break Free CLP and use it to clean and oil.
This is the same stuff the military buys in 55 gal. drums
for everything from M16's to tank cannon.

I have a 4" GP-100 and think it's the greatest thing since Budweiser in a can. Have fun and be safe!

Glock

Although I'm not a long-time GP-100 owner, I do have two of them, both 4", one SS, the other blued. I think they're great. I installed the Wolff spring set on both of them - both 8 lb for both trigger and hammer. It resulted in about a 2 1/2 lb SA trigger pull. I haven't measured the DA pull weight, but it sure did smooth out the action on both guns.

Yes, you can dry-fire them to your heart's content. Just for my own peace of mind, I use a plastic snap cap, but in theory, it shouldn't hurt anything either way.

I've been very impressed with the accuracy of the gun and the ease of aiming and shooting it. It's just a real nice piece of hardware.

I've tried three different kinds of after-market grips and I'm just about convinced that the stock rubber grips with wood inserts, work about as well as anything else. Some grips may look prettier, but I doubt if they really handle and shoot any better.

There's no secret to care and maintenance. You might pay a little more attention to the cylinder - if you don't keep it pretty clean, you may have problems either loading rounds or ejecting the empties. If you shoot much .38 ammo, make sure you use a brass brush on the cylinder periodically, to avoid a ridge build-up that will complicate loading .357 rounds.

Other than that, just enjoy your new shootin' iron. I'm sure you'll like it. :D

Congrats on your purchase! You'll love the gun, I know I love mine.

Dry firing is fine, they actually encourage it in the manual so you can get used to the gun. I've noticed that just by dry firing at home while watching TV that the trigger smooths out.

Enjoy your new purchase!

I installed the Wolff kit in mine, can't remember now which ones I used but it dropped the trigger pull (single action) from 4.5lbs to 3lbs. The only problem I encountered was some fail-to-fires caused by light strikes but that went away when I switched from CCI to Winchester primers. Can't say what factory ammo would do, never shot any through it. I do like that gun, it's a keeper!

Gp-100s are *the best*!

Congratulations on your newest purchase! Take good care of it and it will take good care of you and, in all likelihood, last many lifetimes.

I also have a Ruger KGP-141 (stainless, full-lug, 4" barrel, adjustable sighted) in .357 Magnum. Bought it at a gun show about 3 years ago, after a nightmare experience with a Para-Ord P-13. I got my KGP-141 for $325 in pristine condition.

I took it to the range the first time and I knew this was the one gun I would never part with. It fits my hand like a glove (added Hogue Monogrip), it is built like a bank vault, and it's frighteningly accurate. My KGP-141 is my (almost) constant companion and I wouldn't part with it for anything!

I am glad this handgun is getting the great reputation and word of mouth it so deserves. Ruger makes one hell of a great product and (although I have never had to deal with them) I understand their customer service is absolutely top notch. I *might* buy another GP-100 maybe with a 3" barrel to add to my inventory!

Perhaps I am just "mature for my age" (I'm almost 26)...or maybe I am just odd, but I really like .357 Magnum revolvers. Especially Rugers, if you missed it! So many people my age (and younger) think they absolutely NEED to have some kind of auto these days. They *have* to carry/own what the FBI/DEA/SEALs/SAS uses. I admit, I used to think that way too. But then I just had a "change of mindset" I suppose. My .357 Magnum is generally speaking: more accurate, easier to maintain, less to worry about, and more powerful than most of my friends' autos. And I still get the feeling that some people think I'm "out of it", or "behind the times", or "unprepared" when I show up with my beloved .357 Magnum. Then I look at their targets against mine. LOL....I just love revolvers, but I would like just *ONE* auto.

Best of Luck and Happy Blasting!
Mntneer357

Mntneer357, I totally agree...

I've come from the land of semi-autos and when I first fired a .357 magnum revolver I instantly fell in love! First off, they are very accurate, recoil is managable (the ones I've shot seem to push back, rather than "flip-up" like semi-autos tend to do) plus they have a pleasant grip. I went with the Ruger GP-100 because I've heard good things about it and I own Ruger products and they have been very reliable to me. I can't wait to move up to the "big bores" and buy a .44 magnum!

Glock_Racer,

Seems great minds think alike! I have shot several autos and they all left different impressions on me. At present, the *ONE* auto I am considering adding to my inventory is a Ruger P97 .45, providing I can hang onto it due to recoil and most importantly *be accurate with it*!

Ever since I brought my beloved KGP-141 .357 Magnum home, I have been hooked on revolvers. I also have a SA Colt Ft. Kansas .22 which is beautiful and a complete *joy* to shoot. I am also looking long and hard at possibly adding a 3" GP-100 to my inventory in the near future. Hey, it would give me reciprocity of ammo and cleaning, same operation proceedure, and I know I'd love the gun. There is also the possibility of an SP-101 .357 instead of another GP-100. As I said, I just really think very highly of Ruger products.

I am continually amazed at people who buy autos because they feel they NEED them. These same people, 9 times out of 10, never even *look* at picking up a revolver. Nothing against autos at all but, as I have learned, a revolver really is a tough, easy-to-maintain weapon! You are right...the grips on revolvers are generally much nicer.

Enjoy your new purchase and hold your head high. As soon as I determine *if* I can handle the recoil of a .45, then I will figure out what some of my other future purchases may be. A .45 Long Colt Ruger Redhawk 5.5" perhaps? mmmmmm

Best Wishes and Happy Blasting,
Mntneer357

Back