Just became a rifle owner.

kmw1954

Having always being a pistol owner/shooter the recent turn that brought me to a part time job at a rifle range finally got the better of me.

This morning I picked up a very nice used Savage Axis 223 that came with a Konus 3X9 scope and a very nice soft case.

The serial number search leads me to a N suffix which puts it at very late 2018 or 2019 model. It does not have the Accu-Trigger. Also could not determine which scope model this is. Seller tells me it has less than 20 rounds shot in it. That he purchased it for coyote hunting and then lost interest. He is now shooting a very nice 6.5 Creedmoor that he showed off.

My intent is that this will be a very nice entry level gun, inexpensive to shoot and should do 100/200yds pretty easily and 300 yards when I feel BOLD.

It should be all that you want in a beginner rifle. As you stated it is cheap to shoot and good to a fair range. I have the same rifle, but an earlier model. Mine had a flimsy plastic stock that flexed too much. So I put a Boyd's stock on it. Have fun, and congratulations on the new gun.

Congratulations . From personal experience I have shot the .223 to 500 yards, wish you many years of fun shooting.

You’ll be surprised, you’ll be popping clays at 300 yds in no time. I’ve shot my AR’s only out to 440 yds and keeping them sub MOA was no problem.

With good quality target ammo 223 is a fine target round out to at least 600 yards and by all accounts the Axis rifles shoot well. If you can shoot well at 100 yards 300 isn't any harder. You have to account for a few inches of bullet drop but that isn't hard to do.

It is figuring out how much the wind will blow your bullets around on windy days at truly long range. Unless it is a pretty strong wind 300 yards doesn't give the wind much time to have a huge effect.

The scope is a budget model, but will probably serve your needs at least for a while. You'll probably want to upgrade down the road. BTW, it is a 3-9X, not a 3X9 scope.

Feel BOLD?

Dating myself here. My time in the Marine Corps required prone 500 yard shots with open sights.

I agree with jmr40 with optics and practice this will be a great 600yrd and under rifle for you. Come back and let us know how you do.

Mr.RevolverGuy I bet your eyes were much younger then also. But yes I'm expecting to enjoy the heck out of this.

On the latest MidSouth flier they have a nice new Bushnell 4X16 Nitro scope on sale. May need that to see out that far. But that's for another day.

Well, for some of us the twist rate may be the deciding factor in purchasing a particular rifle or barrel. With the 9" twist you will probably have decent accuracy if/when you decide to try something heavier than your usual 50-55gr 223 ammo, say something in the 65-70gr range (possibly heavier). Most of my 223s are either 1:8" or 1:9" twist and can accurately handle anything from a 40gr Vmax up to a 75gr HPBT.

From what I am reading 1:9 = 60-70gr best weight. 55gr getting light and 75gr getting heavy.

Will soon find out.

Back