Just a Reminder

Terrill

I thought while I was playing I would make a reminder to everyone heading to the woods. Add an ICE card to your gear. (In Case of Emergency) The information on the card could help someone help you in case anything happens.
beb1.jpg

and for goodness sake, be sure to tell someone that might care, where you will be hunting, and when you expect to be back.

good suggestion. its too easy to get lost in the woods. ive done it. some of the forest here are huge! and i like to venture deep. you can get turned around in an instant.

great idea

:o never thought of making a card , always tell the wife where i'll be hunting or fishing. If changing area's I call her via cell phone.;)
If she comes along we let our friends know.
Now I'll need to make a card thanks :D will pass this info along to my friend
as he is allergic to bee stings, he carries kit. we all know it in the right side leg pocket... :( but no one else would thanks again

"and for goodness sake, be sure to tell someone that might care, where you will be hunting, and when you expect to be back."

Yup. Mostly.

And, for me, nowadays, that's fine. I don't walk all that much. Used to be, though, you'd have to figure I was somewhere within six or so miles from hunt camp. Problem: Which direction? :D

Art

I don't understand. What do you write on said card that is supposed to help you? Seeing as how if there's trouble in the woods, there's no one there to read it besides yourself. Granted, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer - but I am :confused: .

The whole concept is in case you are found hurt and can not reply for yourself. The info is who to contact, any medical conditions you may have, etc.
Of course if you fall of a tree and no one finds you, you're out of luck.
In my case, the sound of the deer cheering is bound to draw some attention.:cool:

A really great book to read, too, is "98.6 degrees, the art of keeping your *ss alive"

Awesome survival info, much different than the 100,000 other survival books that are all pretty much the same! Goes into lots of info on survival pack, (such as to cover everything with bright tape), how to help resuers find you (such as not only telling people where you wil be & exactly when you will return, but also things like placing a shoeprint on a sheet of aluminum foil and writing your anme on it & leaving it visible in your windshield so rescuers know which tracks are yours), how to collect water (such as a thin, flexible tubing for a straw to get into crevices and how a solar still won;t make more water than you sweat and loe thru breathing) and a bunch of really great info on basically keeping your temp at 98.6 so you don't die of hypo/hyperhermia, which is the number 1 killer of people lost in the woods.

The whole concept is in case you are found hurt and can not reply for yourself. The info is who to contact, any medical conditions you may have, etc.
Of course if you fall of a tree and no one finds you, you're out of luck.
In my case, the sound of the deer cheering is bound to draw some attention

OK, Terrill, I understand now - I was thinking maybe that you just wrote on other side of the card: "OK, here's what you do now - put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye", and then pull it out and read it as you are falling down the precipice after walking off the cliff, or being charged by a grizzly, etc. :)

My wife tolerates my hunting adventures, so to keep her mind at ease I do the step on aluminum foil trick (so there is an impression of your boot print) and put in in a packet that stays at home with basic info - where I am going, what time I should be home, what time to actually start worrying, etc. She always checks my pack before I go to make sure I have my emergency gear. Seems a little silly, but it keeps the peace at home.

davlandrum, did you read the same book?

Anyways, in it he also mentions a guy who was on a business trip and went for a quick hike, and told no one to where. When he disappeared of course no one knew where to look. His wife grieved as only you can imagine, and over the years she eventually of course went on living.

Then years later his body was found, he had fallen off a cliff, and his wife had to go thru the whole agonizing process again.

If he had just told someone he trusted where he was going then at least his wife wouldn't have had to go thru all of that twice.

I always wonder if it is just to make the insurance collection easier. If they find my body at the bottom of a cliff, she won't have to wait for me to be declared dead...;)

Honestly, it makes her feel better so I do it. She absolutely hates it when I hunt solo, so rather than live in my tent year-round, I do what I can to make her happy.

And, no, I am not going to dump her for a wife that will be more understanding....:rolleyes:

Get yourself a GPS if you don't have sense of direction. Personally, I like to look at land marks and situate myself from it. Since GPS don't often work in the mountains..

Back