Just a question , maybe nothing

cw308

I'm shooting a Colt 1911 70 Series Government in 45 ACP , I'm not loading hot , all are 100% reliable . My question is my fired cases have a discoloration on one side going half way down the case . What causes this ? Is it because I'm loading light loads ?

Jim ,
Thanks for answering so fact , the pistol operates just fine . Just wanted to make sure , Thanks Again.

Chris

cw308 said:
I'm shooting a Colt 1911 70 Series Government in 45 ACP , I'm not loading hot , all are 100% reliable . My question is my fired cases have a discoloration on one side going half way down the case . What causes this ? Is it because I'm loading light loads ?
Probably. I've experienced that (in 1911s, in .45 ACP) when tinkering with light loads. If the load is too light, the case doesn't obturate and the brass doesn't seal against the chamber wall.

It can be a result of a "light" load, though if the pistol operates properly its not too light.

It can also be the result of a "normal" load and "springy" brass. It's the same visual result as incomplete obduration (sealing to the chamber wall), but it happens after the bullet is on its way (or even gone), as the pressure drops, the brass springs back away from the chamber wall (so it can be extracted) and if this happens while there is still some residual pressure in the bore, some gas will "leak" down the side of the case leaving the smoky discoloring.

You'll find it more prevalent with some powders, than others, as well.

44 AMP is correct about this happening even after the bullet leaves the barrel. I get it frequently from my 357max single shot rifle with some pretty stout loads. No question that the brass obturates upon firing, but I still get the discoloration on one side of the case. It happens with different handgun loads also. It's nothing to be concerned about, and as long as the gun cycles it's working just fine.

Thanks guys ,
I'm two tenths away from it being a iffy load , so I felt also it was do to the paper punching load . Other then that it runs 100%

Happens all the time with light loads and fast burning powder. Here's something fun to try. Mark all the cases with a sharpie on the top as you load them in the magazine, this will be the 12:00 position. Then shoot all 7 rounds and examine. You will find the side with the blackened / burnt powder marks are right in line with the extractor, at the 3:00 position. The extractor pushes the cartridge to the left side of the chamber. That small gap is just enough for the burning gases to travel reward a little ways. Normal to hot loads do not show this because the brass case expands and seals off the gases from traveling rearward.

Mike38
Makes perfect sense , I was thinking it could be at the bottom position , I am going to mark the cases an give a try but I'm sure it exactly what your saying . Thanks Mike.

Chris

No Second Best is correct as well. I get that discoloration across calibers and guns in standard and hot loads as well for the reasons stated. It's normal.

tipoc

tipoc
Thank you for answering , the discoloration goes away after I clean my cases , my headspace is fine so I figured it was do to my light loads , also what Mike38 posted made perfect sense , I will mark my cases the next time out to see if it discolors in line with the extractor . Thanks tipoc , hopefully I'll add to one of your posts some day .

Chris

Back