just a question, albiet a dumb one

skizzums

I was perusing the intra-webs abd came across some pretty silly videos of people "enhancing" their replica firearms(blank firing or airsoft) into real firearms. Following the laws of pistol/rifle/SBR/smooth vs rifling etc., I am assuming this is a legal undertaking? The couple I saw were converting some particular type of BHP blank firing, and a Walther something or another converted to .380 and even some Glock Airsoft pistols with parts fitted to frame. In the instances I saw of the blank firing pistols, they were most certainly NOT legal since the barrels lacked rifling, but the airsoft pistol looked on the up and up.

this is not something I would do, I do not have the time nor the need, but just considering the idea was interesting. legally it seems no different than an 80%'er or just home building any other firearm. so....legal? so long as definitions are met.

I've read some things about Airsoft rifles with the ability to be converted for use with AR upper-receiver parts. IIRC, they weren't being made into full-auto guns, just semi-auto. However, my recollection was that they were made of inferior materials and I also believe that ATF quickly put a stop to this.

I would much rather build a receiver from a quality 80% receiver than mess around with converting replicas/Airsoft guns. I don't know exactly what metals are in these replicas, but I can assure you that it's not designed to be used in real firearms.

I don't know exactly what metals are in these replicas, but I can assure you that it's not designed to be used in real firearms.

Unfortunately, the metal used is Zamak.

And I agree with you that it is not designed to be used in real firearms, but equally unfortunately, it is.

Airsoft rifles with the ability to be converted for use with AR upper-receiver parts.
There was a company in Taiwan that made some nearly milspec lowers for their airsoft rifles. In Taiwan uppers are illegal, so it was great for marketing their product. Here an upper receiver can be ordered direct to end user, so it was an issue. By the time I heard about it incoming shipments were seized and the few rifles in the market were selling for big money.

Some are zamak, but not all. A few are made of anodized aluminum and cost more than an a low end AR these days.

Back