• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Junior member, Member, Senior Member titles

solz56

Hi there. Great forum. I'm learning a lot.

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch the titles to reflect registration date rather than post count?

I'm a little more chatty than some of the other users and despite being a member for under a month and being a firearms novice, suddenly I'm a Senior Member? I don't want a new forum member to mistake me for one of the seasoned, knowledgeable firearms experts on here.

Maybe do it like: first 2 months = Junior Member, then Member for 6+ months, and then Senior Member to more closely reflect forum usage?

Our current set up seems to work fine:

Junior = 0 to 14
Member = 15 to 99
Senior = 100 and up

And there's no provision in the software, AFAIK, to change it to your suggested method.
solz56 said:
I don't want a new forum member to mistake me for one of the seasoned, knowledgeable firearms experts on here.
The member status means little to anyone who can read and comprehend plain English. Members are judged more on the style and appearance of their posts than on post count.

Personally, there are some members with more than 1,000 posts whom I completely disregard, and others with fewer than 300 that I hold in high esteem.

My judgement of you (based solely on this post) is that you are an intelligent (based on your spelling and use of proper grammar), thoughtful (based on the subject matter of your post) member who is considerate of others and thinks himself to have more to learn than to teach. Don't sell yourself short. There's not a single thing wrong with that! :) I'd rather have a hundred members like you than one self-proclaimed "expert."

-Dave

Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't know Vbulletin software didn't allow for that kind of customization.

Just a minor thing I noticed today. No worries.

You can kill this thread if you want. :D

[edit] Just an aside, but this is by far the nicest and best run firearms forum I've run across so far. Keep up the good work. My question threads have recieved informative responses and I've learned a lot by just lurking & reading.

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch the titles to reflect registration date rather than post count?
Please note that posters' registration dates are displayed right below their member titles. :) If you want to judge people by their time on the forum, that's easy enough.

Back