Jungle Carbines & wandering zeroes.

wogpotter

NOT!
At least not mine:)

I did a test, 2 X 10-round groups fired in as close as possible to identical conditions several weeks apart. Both started with a clean, cold bore & were fired timed fire to heat the barrel.

The result?
A single 4" round 100 yd group at 100 yds with even dispersal of the rounds within the circle.

I always had lack of belief in the "wandering zero" complaints. Every one of the true No. 5's I've seen and/or fired had no zero issues at all. Shots stayed where the shooter aimed.
Glad to hear of another confirmation.

Alleged to be the way the Brit military was able to drop a bolt action rifle in favour of a semi. Took another 10 years due to the U.S. declaring NATO would be using their 7.62 x 51 and not the ballistically better .280 British.
Also a thing I've never heard until there was an internet. Knew a guy who used as No. 5 exclusively for moose hunting who never mentioned any sight issues.

When I got a #5, I read about the wandering zero, I read many articles and 3 were from Enfield armorers, they all stated that when they found one with this problem and they could not repair the problem, they took it out of service and used the parts in other rifles, so finding a wandering zero #5 will be extreemly rare
The manufacturers and the armorers all felt that the problem was in some of the receivers and or barrels because of the lightening cuts made to them

my #5 was made in 1944 and does not have this problem ether, it will hold a
1 1/2 inch pattern at 100 yards with surplus ammo

Yep!
I think some had the problem & some didn't. It seems to be related to stocking & the fit between metal & wood as much as anything else. The armourers fixed the fixable ones & parted out/scrapped the unfixable ones so, as time went by, there was an evolution where the bad ones were weeded out leaving just the good ones.

Kind of "Enfield evolution" survival of the fittest.:cool:

I've got three No. 5's, with hundreds of rounds through them. Yet to find any inherent inaccuracy.

I think the Wandering Zero to be mythical.

Back