JT Stevens A & TC Long Pistol Single Shot Inquiry

RogerDoc

Inactive
14jap89.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what year it is. Serial Number is 39239. My Grandfather gave it to my Father before his recent passing, and my Father is really interested in finding out more about this weapon. I'd love very much for somebody to help give me any information on it possible! Thanks!

It's silver plating, not nickle, with a trigger guard, which I heard wasn't normal for this kind of single shot, from my Google searches.

Last edited:
I am willing to be corrected by someone with more knowledge of those guns, but I think that is the Stevens Offhand Target No. 35. They were made c. 1907 to c.1916. Your serial number is in the right range. They were made in .22 Short, .22 LR, .22 Stevens-Pope, .22 WRF and .25 Stevens. Most were in either .22 Short or .22 LR.

That basic action was used on a rather bewildering variety of single shot target pistols, with and without trigger guards. They were very popular for both indoor and outdoor target shooting in the period from roughly 1880 to 1910.

Are you sure the plating is silver? Normal plating was nickel, so silver would have either been a special order or after market.

Jim

Mike, I copied that cartridge list from Flayderman's but have never seen a cartridge called the ".22 Stevens-Pope", and can't find it in my limited number of books on cartridges. Do you have any examples or know how it differed, if at all, from .22 Long or .22 LR?

Jim

This is my Stevens tip up. I THINK it's a Model 41, but it's so damned difficult to tell because there were so many different models with slight variations.

411413695.jpg

The serial number is in the 21K range, and is marked on the barrel, not the frame. The nickel plating is in virtually pristine shape given its age.

There's no cartridge marking, but I assume that it's .22 LR, given that I've fired that cartridge in it years ago.

Thanks, mapsjanhere. That ties in nicely with a point made in a discussion of the S&W Ladysmith Model M. S&W stated at the time that the .22 Long was recommended, even though the cylinder would accept .22 LR, because the .22 LR was not crimped and the bullets kept jumping forward under recoil and tying up the gun.* As part of that discussion, I mentioned that the .22 LR cases of the time were uncrimped or only lightly crimped because they were used in rifles (where that problem didn't exist), and because crimping was thought to be detrimental to accuracy.

So, it seems that the uncrimped or lightly crimped .22 LR cartridge I had read about was then the standard and the .22 Stevens-Pope was crimped. Odd how things tie together if we have all the information.

*Another tie-in. Anyone recall that S&W had the same bullet jump with their lightweight .357 J frames. "The more things change...."

Hi, Mike,

I wonder if that is a No. 43, either a late first model or a second model, with an altered rear sight.

Jim

Last edited:
It's a Stevens 35. They were also made in .410.
The plating is not silver-it's nickel. Old nickel plating can frost up making it look similar to silver. I can assure you it's nickel.

Back