JPSauer questions

mr61buick

Inactive
I recenlty bought a couple German guns from a friend of mine who's dad passed away. One I've always admired much, which is a 10 gague jpsauer. I am not looking to sell it, but I am looking for a few answers to questions if anyone can help. I would love to know more, such as the year, model, and I know he's hunted with this gun for turkey about 4 years ago. I don't know what loads he was using. Can it handle today's 3.5" shells? I would like to hunt with it a day or two out of the year. Thanks for the help.
EricDSC04574.jpg

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04573.jpg

On modern shells not only no, but hell no. This looks like pre-WWI vintage with the Prussia mark, and most likely is chambered in 10/65. Longer chamberings were typically indicated with a length stamp, so just 12 indicated 12/65 and 12/70 was specifically marked.

Better have the chambers measured. mapsjanhere is correct that your shotgun was not designed for modern shells, it is most likely chambered for 2-9/16" shells, the original 10-ga shell. 3-1/2" 10 ga was not introduced until after WW2, about 35-40 years after your gun was made. You will have to ask your friend where he got shells for it.

First, I would check out what looks like a cracked chamber repaired by brazing. That would make shooting that chamber a definite NO-NO regardless of the shells used.

Just FWIW, and to show my shotgun ignorance, I think that is the first European ten gauge I have seen. I would guess it was made for export, as that caliber was/is almost unknown on the Continent.

Jim

That is beautiful. I own a pre WWII drilling, I just love the lines of those German guns. Now given the obscure chambering and the ???? that is the braze I wonder if it would be possible to sleeve it to 12, 16, 20 or something to make it more shootable and safe. Too pretty to hang on a wall I think.

Back