JP Sauer & Sohn Texas Marshal

BDBroncosFan

Inactive
I have aquired a Sauer & Sohn Texas Marshal from a relative. I have not been able to find any information regarding its age or possible value. It is a .357MAG caliber, nickel finish, single action revolver. And was imported by Hawes Firearms out of LA, CA. This is not to be confused with the western marshal which I have been able to find information on. ANY information that could be given would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks in advance!

These were made by the J.P. Sauer & Sohn company of Eckernforde, Germany and imported by the Hawes Firearms Co in Van Nuys California.

Hawes was a large importer of firearms in the 1950's and 60's.
The got going with the single action revolvers during the great Western TV shows in the 50's, when Colt was not making the Single Action Army.

The value for a center fire version is "about" $150 to $300.
The Texas Marshal was available in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt.
Barrel was 6 1/2" with adjustable sights and nickel plated.

J.P. Sauer is a very old company, founded in 1751 in Suhl.
It moved to Eckernforde in 1951.
Sauer made rifles, shotguns, and pistols and revolvers of quality from top of the line to the lower end guns like the Hawes revolvers.

count me in

I also acquired a Hawes revolver, 44 magnum,Jp sauer,SA,6 inch barrel, chief marshal. I guess it's safe to assume it came over between 50's and 60's and was manufactured around then also. It shoots straight and has a good trigger but I didn't know sig made anything (low end) so to speak. thanks for the info. :)

I've got a 357 western marshall version, blued with brass trigger guard

and grip strap. For some reason I find it hard to shoot 357s in it... tends to sting my hand especially if using both hands.... but they are well made.

tends to sting my hand especially if using both hands.... but they are well made.
Don't know what 2 hand technique you use, or are referring to,
The small grip on a western revolver makes for hard 2 hand shooting. I let it roll in my hand one handed or use the cup and saucer technique.
My 1st handgun was a Western Marshal. Used to keep it stored in the arms room when stationed at Ft. Riley KS back in 72-73. It was used every weekend I had off.:)

The posts .......

seem pretty good on your revolver. My Dad had a Hawes .44 mag, blue w/ rosewood grips, quality seemed pretty high.

I think the Western, Texas and Chief monikers were to designate different finishes and grip types, but not certain.

I think your are right about the names....

and yes, I learned that the cup and saucer two hands was better or even just one hand.... then again I really preferred shooting 38s in it anyway. Not putting the pistol down in the least.... it is very well made. I got it almost for a song at a gun show none the less... way before prices started sky rocketing and took it home and discovered the ugly orange colored trigger guard and grip strap were that way because no one ever took the varnish coating off the brass... I stripped the gun down and stripped the coating off and polished the brass and made her really really pretty.

This is very informative for me,,,

I own a J.P. Saur and Sons SA pistol as well,,,
I didn't know who imported them.

Is there some marking denoting Hawes that I have missed?

Mine has a case hardened frame/hammer/trigger,,,
Blue cylinder and barrel,,,
Brass trigger guard,,,
7 1/2 inch barrel,,,
.357 Magnum.

This is a great shooting handgun,,,
The action is very smooth,,,
The trigger is crisp.

Several of my SASS buddies have tried to buy it off of me,,,
I like to pretend to be Paladin every now and then,,,
So I'll keep it because it's a quality fieryarm.

You have the the Western Marshall, all the large caliber Hawes were the same except for the type finish. All made by J.P. Sauer & Sons, Germany. Value, if interested is 150 in very good down to 75 in poor.:)

Back