JP Enterprises double ring sight

justin2992

Has anyone used this DOUBLRING sight system. I haven't been able to find any posts on it. Maybe because the search doesn't let you search for two letter entries (f'ing annoying sometimes).

http://www.jpar15.com/sights.htm

Attachments

• dr-3.gif
    dr-3.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
IMNSHO

The front ring (and for that matter, the rear, too) are too big.

I run one gun with a ghostring rear, but it's matched up with a .060" optic-fiber rod front.

Responding to a very old thread, but it needs to be said due to the damage and injustice done by folks voicing their opinions as facts, when they are nothing of the sort.

Yes, I had these sights on two pistols, a Glock model 17 and a Model 19. I mostly shot the model 19 as it just felt more natural in my hands, and I shot a few USPSA matches with it while using those sights. Unfortunately, I sold both pistols with those sights on them and while I don’t regret selling the pistols, I regret note taking those sights off the pistol prior to selling them. The post above is not the first I’ve seen throughout the years providing misguiding information about these sights, so here, finally, are some facts based on experience shooting with those sights for several years.

First, the opinion that the front sight was too large a ring is just that, opinion. In fact, it was just about perfect. I could clearly center the front ring in the rear ring, while also seeing a piece of my target in the center of the front ring. The next BS provided in other posts about these sights is about their alleged, inherent lack of precision accuracy. This is also completely false in my experience. When first sighting them in on the model 19, I quickly determined that I’d need to add two shims to get the elevation correct but forgot to install the shims when I set about sighting it in for windage. Anyway, the following Sunday morning, I shot a local match during the first stage of which I had occasion to shoot at two 3’ or 4’ lollipops at about 7-yards. Each shot I took, I saw the target move, but not fall. After 3-shots, I commented, ‘what the heck’, and someone said, “You’re shooting the pole.” So, at 7-yards, three shots in a row, I had struck the ½” – 3/4 “ re-rod post the lollipop was sitting on top of. The next shot I aimed an inch over the plate and took it down, so I did the same for the next one.

After that match, I realized I’d forgotten the shims for elevation. I marked the rear sight with a razor and installed them. I virtually always shot open class unless I was out of ammo, in which case I shot the model 19 in Limited. The next match I short the 19 in, probably the following year, I won Limited shooting with minor scoring. That match included three USPSA targets at 25-yards with everything covered by no-shoots except the center A-zones. I collected all 6 A-zones at 25-yards with those horrible, inaccurate dual ghost ring sights.

Those sights were ahead of their time, useless of carry, but excellent for competition, and were laid to rest by the opinions of folks who for the most part, had never even seen them in person, much less actually tried using them. They were killed off by opinionated individuals that disliked change. They were in fact incredibly fast to sight with and were certainly accurate enough out to 25-yards. Today, they’d probably be even better, because they’d probably have a ring of red fiber on the front sight instead of the paint.

I commend JP Enterprises for coming out with them and kinda wish they would bring them back. 30-years later, my older eyes would probably pick them up much better that most conventional irons.

Back