journey222

alan

The writer, no matter whom they might be is entitled to their opinion. I wonder however, respecting his location, Johnston PA (about 70 miles east of Pittsburgh, in Cambria County) to how many of the residents of that town agree with him. Judging from some folks that I know, who live there, I suspect precious few.

You are right...
BUT
He has no right to malice and inflamitory comment. You dont stick your head in a building and yell FIRE or something just as stupid simply for the sake of causing a ruckus.

If he wanted to stay and discuss the matter in a adult fashion - he would have been welcome to do so. This is not what he did, nor was that his intension. He wanted to make his STATEMENT, and then see what he hath wrought... That is not acceptable.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I suppose that Freedom of Speech, to some extent at least, carries with it the requirement that, unpleasant as it might be, we must suffer idiots.

Personally, I would rather suffer idiots, whom one can ignore, than suffer the lack of freedom. Just my take on the matter.

alan-
I'm sorry but TFL has never been billed as a chat room. We have Policies and expect polite conduct. We don't tolerate trolling. We close threads, delete posts and banish Members. Albeit, we do this as little as possible, but we do it nonetheless. If that opens us up for criticism, so be it.

I think freedom of speech still exists...however, it is incumbent on the speaker to find the proper venue. We'll suffer fools, but not trolls. The poster you refer to was an obvious troll.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited August 10, 1999).]

Rick:

I may not have commented in a clear enough manner. I was NOT crticizing TFL. I was merely offering an observation on the original poster, and things in general. Possibly the best thing to do would be to simply ignore such posts.

Obviously, neither this forum, nor any other is obligated to "suffer idiots", and I believe that the original poster might well qualify as one.

alan-
I owe you a sincere apology. I knew you were offering comment, not criticism, when I read your post. After reviewing my own response, I went back and edited it, thinking that it looked like I was chastising you for your comments.

Now, on second read, I didn't do a real good job. Your point is well taken and my post was ill worded. I'll let it stand as a reminder to myself:
"Think Twice.
Post Once."
Rich

Back