Joliet Arsenal ammo head stamp suffix?

KC9LDB

Does anyone know what the head stamp is on a common small arms round (45, 556, 30cal) is for the Joliet arsenal plant located in Elwood, IL? I am a Illinois resident and recently visited the remains of the plant and would love to fine a shell or full round for my collection!

There is none. Either you are asking about a factory better known by another name, or the Joliet plant did not make those calibers of ammunition.

Ahh, alright, what calibers did come out of there, there had to be some small arms calibers. Mainly looking for anything with markings on it that came form that plant

This is what I got:

Excellent history at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_Army_Ammunition_Plant

Quick summary- set up in 1940 and had two separate operations:
Kankakee Ordnance Plant manufactured various types of explosives for use at other plants and Elwood Ordnance Works loaded artillery shells, bombs, mines and other munitions. In 1945 they were combined to form the Joliet Arsenal.
Like most similar U.S. ordnance facilities, it was shut down after WW2, reopened during and after Korea and then again for small scale production in the Vietnam era. Essentially shut down for good in the late 1970s, it was declared excess in 1993 and portions converted into various commercial uses (Intermodal hub for train/highway truck transfers; landfill, cemetery, industrial parks, and a Wal-Mart distribution center. Portion of the site is a heavily contaminated "superfund" site where they will spend $$$$$$$$$ doing clean up work.

Back