Join the 1000 yard club!

fidget

Inactive
It might seem dumb to some of you, but I am really interested in the set-ups some of you have and what you've done to be successful shooting up to 1000 yards. I'd really like to see what struggles and challenges you've overcome to reach that level of shooting. If you'd be so kind to respond with the following:
- The yardage you feel comfortable shooting
- The rifle that you used
- The caliber
- The modifications you have made to the rifle (stock, trigger, barrel, etc)
- The scope and rings
- Bullets (no need to go in depth on the ammo or the loads, although we all understand that is and important factor)
- Any other equipment you feel has been essential
- One piece of advice you'd give that really helped you out.

Thanks Guys! .ny additional comments are welcome. Please dont post any "well theoretically, you should be able to get out there with yada yada stuff" please just keep the post clean and just list what has actually worked for you.

I won't begin by saying which rifle or caliber is best because there are many differing opinions as to what is best, but I like the 300 Win mag with bullets of 180gr or greater with high BC. During my days, the military liked the 300Mag.
Now, 338s and 50cal are commonplace.

As far as optics, the answers are many as well, Must be able to discern a 3' target at 1000 yards Scopes with BDCs are nice, but then again, you have to learn to dope wind. A good 1000yd scope will cost a bundle. One thing for certain, 1000 yd shooting is addictive.

Probably the greatest challenge are the trips back and forth to see where your bullets fall.

- range is set up with steel at 600, and 1K (and you can set up paper anywhere you like up to 600). 600 is easy most days so the challenge is at 1K. When the wind is better than my calls (more days than I'd like) I stay at 600 to work on them.

-Custom Savage

- 7mm-08

- Rifle Basix trigger set to "touch me :eek:"; Shaw 28", SS Varmint contour barrel, Holland precision recoil lug, Kahntrol muzzle brake. Epoxy and pillar bedded into a custom lightweight Okoume hardwood stock. Blackhawk Pivot and Traverse bipod.

-Vortex Viper 6.5-20; EGW 20 moa rail, Leupold 30mm PRW rings.

- The amazing Hornady 162 Amax...

Best advice I can give is find the most accurate load for your rifle, and SHOOT OFTEN, and a lot... There is no substitute for trigger time when it comes to long-range shooting- and keep detailed dope to help with the learning curve.

I don't get to go as often as I'd like, but always send a minimum of 100 rounds every trip. Edit to add: the load you develop must not only be accurate at shorter ranges we typically test them, but must have a low SD or variance in muzzle velocity. 50 fps doesn't mean a thing to a paper target at 100 yards, but helps translate to a "miss" at 1K. A chrono is really helpful for this and worth the cost.

While the 30 caliber magnums were popular for years, when really good 26 caliber match bullets came about, the big 30's were set aside for these smaller ones. They've been a favorite in shoulder fired prone matches shot from the 6.5x.284 case for several years. Downside's their 600 to 800 round barrel life compared to the 1200 or so with 30 caliber magnums. Biggest advantage is they move the bore axis less during the time the bullet goes down the barrel. Bullets depart in a smaller cone headed for the target. A .308 Win's a decent cartrige, equally accurate properly tested, but it's not a wind bucker quite as good as the 6.5x.284 and it kicks a bit more; its 3000 round barrel life is an advantage.

Larger cartridges have been tried, such as the .338 LappyMag, but they've got way too much recoil for hand held prone matches. Some disciplines don't allow any caliber larger than 8mm; .323".

Conventionally stocked rifles custom built around the Win. 70 action are as good as one can get as they've got the best record for internal box magazine ones. They'll shoot as accurate as benchrest rifles properly tested. However, with due respect for them, the best rifles these days are tube guns; such as the Tubb2000 or Eliseo ones. All metal and just screw everything together tight; no bedding issues and they're the most repeatable in performance made today. A decent compromise is a Savage rifle; probably the most accurate out-of-the-box factory rifle made today evidenced by their popularity in competition. Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, nor any other commercial maker sells complete rifles that equals what Savage puts out.

A half way decent $400 scope will do everything a $2000 one will do. Try the Weaver 24X. I laugh alot reading about folks putting $2000 dollar scopes on commercial or custom rifles that won't shoot inside 2 MOA at 1000 yards. Spend most of that money on a better rifle and only $500 on the scope; you can shoot inside 3/4 MOA at a thousand fairly easy. Good rifles shoot decent bullets accurately; scopes don't. Rifles are just as accurate with metallic aperture sights as proved by the scores shot with both on bullseye targets are virtually the same. All the scope does is help one aim a little more precicely and they're easier to aim into the wind when it picks up.

Last edited:
Bart B said:
A half way decent $400 scope will do everything a $2000 one will do. Try the Weaver 24X. I laugh alot reading about folks putting $2000 dollar scopes on commercial or custom rifles that won't shoot inside 2 MOA at 1000 yards.

Is the Weaver 24x the ONLY sub $500 scope suitable for scoped rifle target disciplines? I've never really heard of anything else except maybe the SWFA SS scopes.

i shot at williamsport pa in the 70,s. my rifle was a custom heavy barreled rem 700 in 7mm mag using the 160gr bullet loaded with imr 4350. good groups were in the 12-15" range then for 10 shots. i used unertl target scopes and redfield 3200-6400 and a few lyman target scopes. i realy liked the redfield target scopes, for me the hardest things to master were the wind and heat mirage. the shooters of today and equipment and reloading componets are so much better that the groups they are shooting are just about unbelievable. just last month i watched a shooter hit a 18" steel disk at 1000yds ten for ten with a .308 win with a factory heavy barreled rifle and a leupold 6.5x20 target scope. eastbank.

The Weaver is vertically challenged for 1K yards...
A down angle rail would help.
40 minutes total elevation adjustment means just 20 is available. A .308 won't make it past 700 yards with that.

For a .308 (though not specified) you'd need about 37-38 minutes available for 1K yards.

Whatever scope you choose, be sure you have enough adjustment based on the scope and rail (if used) based on the ballistics of whatever you're shooting.

I have a couple rifles that I have reached out past 1000 with..

First rem 700 in 300 ultra mag, using Remington ammo, Zeiss scope, off of a bench, that rifle has aftermarket stock, bottom metal, bolt knob, a jewel trigger, some action work, and a stock rem barrel...

My sako trg has reached out around 1000 with hand loads swarvoski glass

But my 338 lapua with HSM trophy gold, custom built 700, nightforce glass, harris bipod, lying down is my favorite reach out there setup, I use shooter on my iphone and ipad, which makes me a much better shot, lol...
003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the winning scores shot in the NRA's 1000-yard Wimbledon Cup Match fired with any rifle having any sights from prone; typcally with scopes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_Cup#Trophy_Winners

The history on what the course of fire was along with other match conditions is interesting.

1875 to late 1890's;

Target; 36" 5 ring (black aiming bullseye), 54" 4 ring, 72" square 3 square, 2' x 6' panel on each side scored 2 points. Black powder 45 caliber 500 grain bullets with a long telescope. Accuracy about 25 to 30 inches.

1896 to 1919;

.30-40 Krag with 220 grain bullets, then in 1903/4 M1903 Spfld with 150-gr. bullets. 20 to 25 inch accuracy.

1920 to 1934;

.30-06 round in M1903's, M1917 Enfields and from 1926 on the Winchester 54 was added. The M2 machine FMJBT machine gun bullet of 173 grains bucked the wind a lot better; the 2' panels on the targets was removed; now 6' wide instead of 10' so more could be on the firing lines. Scores moved up with the new "match" bullet. Winchester & Western along with Remington also made some heavy FMJBT 180's for competition. There were many unbreakable ties with perfect scores of 100, so a 20" V ring was put inside the 36" 5 ring and hits in it were used in ties to determine the score plus V count. Best lots of 30 caliber ammo would shoot about 20" at 1000 yards and that was the criteria for the V ring diameter. At 600 yards, that target's 20" 5 ring (black bullseye) had a 12" V ring in it for the same reason; the accuracy of .30-06 ammo at 600.

1935 to late 1950's:

A .300 H&H Magnum was used in 1935 to win the match with a M1917 action and Western factory ammo. More 300's showed up from then on, but scores with them were very close to what the .30-06 prouduced and sometimes less than. Sierra Bullets' 180 and 200 grain FMJBT match bullets had proved better than any commercial ones as well as the best lots of military M2 match bullets. Sierra hollow pointed them after their 168-gr hollow point did so well in international competion. And Fred Huntington's .30-.338 was outscoring the old .300 H&H round in the wind starting in the late '50's. Best accuracy was not much over 10 inches at 1000 with Sierra's. With good lots of jacket material, 10" accuracy was the norm. Extermally adjusted scopes were normal. Epoxy bedding receivers was beginning to be worthwhile. Wincheser's Model 70 came out with a heavy .300 H&H Mag barrel that was excellent. Their .30-06 actions were by far the favorite of all. Remingon 721's were tried, were few and far between. Proper full length sizing of fired cases were normal, but the belted ones didn't shoot quite as accurate as new ones.

1960's to 1974;

.30-.338 Win Mag's were common and the .300 Win Mag gave them a run for the money as did the .308 Norma Mag. The .30-06 droped out of favor in the early 70's as it was out scored by the .308 Winchester by folks choosing not to use magnums. Sierra's 30 caliber 190's came out and along with their 200-gr. HPMK's, best accuracy with them tested in positions now used in F-class competition was in the 7 inch range. Epoxy bedding had become popular and helped receivers stay repeatable in position relative to the wood stocks. In 1970, a Navy man used a 7mm Rem Mag with a super accurate batch of Sierra's 168-gr. match bullets and won the match with a 100-20V +12V record score. He told me the next year that rifle probably shot under 7 inches with ease based on his calls versus bullet impact. But subsequent lots of that new 28 caliber heavy match bullet rarely equalled what that prototype lot did until 15 years years later. That score was trumped by a .30-.338 by a Marine Corps warrant officer in 1972 with the then record score of 100-20V +23V with new unprepped cases; good lots of them were excellent. 43 consecutive shots from a 30 caliber magnum inside 20 inches at 1000 yards. Full length sizing was typical for fired cases, but belted ones were sized again with a body die squeezing down the body diameter all the way to the belt getting rid of the ridge left by the chamber headspacing shoulder.

1974 - mid 1990's;

The century old target finally got changed to a decimal one; too many unbreakable ties were shot with better bullets from epoxy bedded barreled actions. A 10" X ring inside a 20" 10 ring inside a 30" 9 ring inside a 44" 8 ring which was the aiming bullseye; much easier to see with metallic sights. The 54" 7 ring was inside the 72" square target area worth 6 points. Internally adjusted scopes were producing better scores than the externally adjusted ones. Best accuracy with the 30 caliber magnums for 20+ shot groups were in the 6 inch range. The 7mm magnums finally got decent bullets from Sierra but the 6.5mm ones were catching up fast. After a 6.5x.284 started taking home all the marbles, belted cases started loosing popularity. Best accuracy with all of them was still in the 6" range. The lighter recoil of the 6.5 made it easier to shoot more accurate.

1995 to Date;

Nothing much changed; bullets, barrels, and all that stuff's been decent. Tube guns became popular as they have no bedding issues and easy to make shoot as good as anything. Best accuracy is as good as 1000-yard benchrest guns when tests are fair and proper; all fired shots under 6 inches with 10% of the groups being very small and 10% very large. 1% of the groups are at extremes both tiny and huge. All the rest are in between.

Last edited:
Back