John Ross 500 Magnum

StihlKicking

If anyone on here owns one of these guns I would be interested to hear how the black finish holds up. I am trying to decide if I should order the black or stainless one. Thanks

Last edited:
It is stainless steel with black oxide. If not on this specific firearm, does anyone have experience with this finish on another revolver?

Black oxide maybe fine, I dont know. Should be. I like brush stainless because you can maintain the finish for a lifetime or two. I am not sure there is any advantage to oxide stainless over a comparable finish on steel. A stainless barrel might last longer and the blue steel might machine better for a given amount of effort. I say might, kinda forget. Maybe some advantage to a small shop keeping with one material.

It is not just a question of durable, but how does it look with the inevitable dings and wear. Sorry, again, I dont know. Blue steel ages gracefully and stainless is perpetual.

Sorry no help, consider this a bump. Conversation stimulator?

I spoke to John yesterday. Turns out the black finish is some sort of coating. Not black oxide. I don’t mind honest wear on a firearm but I am leery of finishes that scratch easily even when handled gently. Not sure how this one will hold up
under carry conditions.

I have both finishes

The black finsh is ok but has worn over time- it is used in the field hunting
It does not scatch easily but will scratch

good luck and be safe
Ruggy

If it is going to see much use the stainless is the way to go.

I decided to go with the stainless. Mailed John a check on Monday. Now I’m just playing the waiting game. Excited to get it in.

Back