Jim Cirillo's patented bullets - on the market?

Patent # 5,097,767 is for a nose cap allowing wadcutter-type bullets to feed reliably through autoloaders. The cap is discarded after the bullet the leaves the barrel.

I only scanned the abstract, so I may have missed the bullet-expanding potential of the device. I suppose a bullet with a gaping hollowpoint could then be used in an auto, but it would be no different than the same bullet fired from a wheelgun.

Last edited:
From the maker...http://www.safestop.net/bullets.html

A true "Top Cop" designed these bullets. This can not be said of any other bullet, period.

As with many overly hyped bullets and ammo, these bullets are being promoted using criteria, in part, that sound good but actually mean nothing.

Here, they are pushing that no other bullet has been designed by a true "Top Cop." Whether or not the round was developed by a top cop is meaningless. Plus the statement gives the impression that since the round was designed by a top cop, the rounds are therefore better than bullets designed by engineers and ammo companies. Being a top cop does not necessarily mean that the person has the necessary training or information to design superior bullets. The bullets may be great, but not necessarily for the reason that they were designed by a top cop.

Strangely, while the bullets are supposed to expand an inch and expand in a square pattern, these traits/performance is not in the maker's descriptions of the ammo.

Back