Jesse James and combat pistolcraft

Hmmm ... reading though it I found this gem:
"Jesse reached under his coat, pulled out a revolver, and cocked the hammer. 'Cox,' he said with a curse, thinking he was talking to Samuel P. Cox, 'caused the death of my brother Bill Anderson, and I am bound to have my revenge.' He aimed the barrel at the cashier's chest and squeezed the trigger. The ear-splitting crack would have echoed in that small room, flame from the slow-burning black powder leaping Out of the muzzle as the bullet tore straight through the man's heart. Before the cashier could topple from his chair, Jesse aimed squarely at his forehead and fired again. A startled (Attorney William A.) McDowell leaped for the door. Jesse wheeled and snapped off two quick shots, one of them tearing through the lawyer's arm as he darted to safety." (7)

Analyzing the above as Stiles reconstructs it from his research, we note when Jesse James aimed and squeezed, he hit heart and brain. Two shots, two decisive hits. "Snap-shooting" with an equal number of rounds, he scored one miss and one non-neutralizing peripheral hit.
Okay, I agree - aimed fire is better, but how can Ayoob keep a straight face while he compares two point-blank shots fired at a stunned and seated bank clerk with two shots fired at a distance at a running target?

Aiming helps, but that's a poor example.

how can Ayoob keep a straight face while he compares two point-blank shots fired at a stunned and seated bank clerk with two shots fired at a distance at a running target?

He gets paid by the word and he's running out of things to write about...

:rolleyes:

Better pistolcraft would have been:
Jesse reached under his coat, pulled out a revolver, and cocked the hammer. He aimed the barrel squarely at the cashier's head, between the eyes and the tip of the nose, and squeezed the trigger. The bullet ripped, snorted, galumphed, etc. and impacted Cox's brainstem, killing him instantly with neither the possibility of a reflexive trigger jerk on Cox's part nor any dialogue or melodrama.
No, I don't claim to be able to do such things - that comes under the domain of SWAT training.

- pdmoderator

Back