Jesse Berst and guns

sbryce

Ziff Davis publishing puts out a daily technology e-mail newsletter called Anchor Desk. It is edited by Jesse Berst. On Friday he wrote up his feelings about the Y2K issue. Near the beginning of the article

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_4032.html

he wrote

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A Web gun seller is trying to boost his sales with this warning: Malfunctioning locks and alarms could send inmates into the streets. My take: Newbie gun owners scare me more than the unlikely failure of prison security systems.[/quote]

Being a newbie gun owner myself, I couldn't let that comment go. I clicked the TalkBack button and submitted this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As a newbie gun owner, I felt that I should comment on your article. My wife and I bought two guns recently for a variety of reasons. Uncertainties about Y2K were part of the reason. There were also concerns about gun control, the well documented fact that a society full of gun owners is a society with less crime, and a challenge from a minister who asked, "If a man came into your house and attacked your wife, what would you do about it?"

Before we bought our guns, My wife and two oldest daughters took a hunter safety course, and my wife and I took a concealed carry class. We know how to handle our guns, and we understand the legal implications of using deadly force. We have both been to the range to practice with our guns. Both of us can shoot the bullseye out of target with a 9mm semi-auto at 25 yards.

I'm not likely to use my gun frivolously, because my photo, fingerprints and personal data are all on file with the FBI and State Bureau if Criminal Investigation. My state has over 30,000 concealed carry permit holders, and there has only been one questionable incident involving a permit holder since the concealed carry law was enacted five years ago.

You have nothing to fear from a newbie gun owner who takes his gun ownership seriously. In fact, you can thank people like me for your own personal safety. Your own state, Jesse, has a concealed carry law. Every time you walk the streets with a jacket on, any would be attacker will wonder if you are a permit holder with a gun hidden under your jacket, and he'll choose someone else to victimize.[/quote]

They posted it!

http://www.zdnet.com/tlkbck/comment/22/0,7056,79521-271995,00.html

There were lots of other gun owners who chimed in as well.

Nice retort. Diplomatic and to the point.

"bigot, n. a person who is intolerant of any creed, belief or race that is not his or her own." (The Random House Dictionary) My beliefs include a personal philosophy that self defence is one of my most elemental civil rights.

I plan to use the word 'bigot' much more in the future to highlight the demonization of honest civilian gun owners. Including the dreaded 'newbie gun owner' ... ;)

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited October 31, 1999).]

Back