JC Higgins Model 5831

hartcreek

A friend of my nephews dropped off his shotgun for me to work on the stock. The previous own shot it loose and broke the stock so that I can not repair it. The wood grain of the stock is so bad that it just goes to pieces when I try to control the splits. This model shotgun only has one bolt through the wood into the receiver and relys on the shape of the wood hold the rest together.

This shotgun is not worth putting a used stock on and they self for maybe $100. I am thinking that I can weld up a steel stock that the action will drop into and I can weld in more fastening points so the action will be secured by more then one bolt.

Has anyone ever attempted this on one of these models?

Check www.gunparts.com they may have one. There is also a guy that hit some of the gun shows aroung Ohio that has a real good election of part for older gun, and he has good election of stocks reasonably priced, you might hit some gun shows.

Catfish.....I have seen complete shotguns at gun shows for $125 but the problem with this model splitting the stock will just re occur if I put another wood stock on. The problem is that the stock is so thin where the one bolt mounts and the bolt so small that on each shot the bolt acts like a chisel.

It looks like I am going to have to include a photo and you guys are not understanding. The way this action goes into the stock is a design flaw so if I can somehow pick up another stock it will break too.

Last edited:
Check eBay. Since it is a JC Higgins. It will most likely be made by High Standard, without looking up the model, so a High Standard stock will fit, of the same type.

Saw a used stock for $70 which doesn't seem worth buying to repair a gun you can buy new for $100.

I would tell the owner this and then see if he wants to do whatever you think is best.

If it was mine I would weld up my own receiver out of flat steel stock so that I could make better attachment points. I could even make a telescoping stock and shoot the stock krylon black. I wish I could weld up a box to strengthen the attachment points to the stock and simply use the old stock but the wood grain is just horrible.

Back