JC Higgins/Duramatic magazine replacement

bcp52

Inactive
If this is the wrong forum for this question, please re-direct me. I recently bought a JC Higgins Model 80 semi-auto 22 pistol at a gun show. When I took it to the range, I discovered that the empty magazine ejects and slides back in place easily, but when I load it with the 10 rounds, the magazine stops short about 1/2 inch of clicking into place as it should. I can push hard and it still won't go all the way in. If I move it about backwards and forwards while applying pressure, it finally snaps into place and shoots well. This is, of course, very frustrating, but I'm no gunsmith and afraid to try to do anything to it. I wondered if anyone here might have some idea of what's wrong with it? Also, I thought about getting a magazine replacement to see if that'll fix it, but don't know where to look for a reliable replacement magazine. If anyone here has any ideas, please enlighten me. Thanks a bunch.

IIRC the J.C. Higgins Duramatic was a High Standard rebrand. BUT... before you do anything start by first disassembling the mags and give then a really detailed cleaning. Then after reassembly load it to the point where it will still insert and shot it. The after the session, load it and just let it sit for a day or three loaded. See if it inserts easier but if not, back off rounds until is seats easily. Shoot it loaded to that limit for a few trips and then add rounds one at a time to see if you can get more in.

Last edited:
HS of Texas recently went out of biz,
but there are still quite a few mags available.
Simply buy 3 more and you should be fine.
Once they arrive, check and see if the spring in your Original is the same as the springs in the new mags,
it's entirely possible that the previous owner replaced a spring with a non-standard and then sold the pistol quickly to get rid of his problem.

When it comes to older guns, there's no such thing as too many mags,

, but when I load it with the 10 rounds, the magazine stops short about 1/2 inch of clicking into place as it should

Load it with 9 (nine) rounds, and see if its still a problem. ;)

This is weird, but I slightly adjusted the tip of the top bullet upward and the magazine loads easily every time. Oh, well, problem solved :)

This is weird, but I slightly adjusted the tip of the top bullet upward and the magazine loads easily every time. Oh, well, problem solved :)
That too points to the spring and a yet unmentioned issue. If the front is too low (or back too high) then the spring may be in backwards.

I still suggest taking the mag apart and giving it a good cleaning and inspection.

I'm going to echo Shrek's recommendation. Go magazine shopping.

I did that between the original High Standard and the Texas version. It took a while to find good mags for my Victor military grip pistol. Plenty of garbage aftermarket mags but few good ones. Go looking now, find a few, and buy them as you can. No one can have enough mags. Especially for finicky .22s.

Back