JC Higgens Model 20 disassembly

Rev_Night

Inactive
I have my dads/gpas old shotty from about 50 years ago....and it has about that much rust on it. I want to disassemble it so i can completely clean, use finish/rust removal, and cold blue it the metal parts. The only problem is that i cannot for the life of me get that Trigger Guard Lock Pin out so i can start the disassembly. It says to just gently push it out with a pen or pencil, from the right side to the left side. Pen or Pencil? Please. I use a punch and hammer and that pin isnt going anywhere.

Anyone have any experience?

Page 3 of the manual:

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/pashotguns/1130D150R.pdf

Oh, boy. Do you see Part No. 73? It is the trigger guard pin retaining spring. It is just a round wire spring that fits into a groove on the retaining pin to keep it from falling out. Ordinarily, the groove is shallow enough that pushing the pin just causes the pin to override the spring and push it out of the way.

But, if the spring is frozen or broken and can't move, getting out the pin can be very difficult. Worse, trying to drive the pin out usually bends the spring, making it even more difficult to move.

I don't recall any magic trick. You might be able to shoot a cleaning spray/lubricant up in there (G96 Gun Treatment would be a good one) and see if that will loosen things up, but getting a bigger hammer is not a choice except as a last resort since you could bend the frame or tear up the trigger housing.

Jim

gotcha. So how can i take apart the handle to get to the spring? Its not a catch 22 is it, in order to get to the spring i have to remove the pin, but to remove the pin i have to first remove the spring?

As for getting that gun oil/grease down there, well, that isnt likely to happen. Those in sides are flush and nigh-waterproof.

I don't think there is any way to get to the spring. What you might be able to do is shoot enough lube up in there to let the spring ride up easier, then use a brass punch to drive out the pin. It might go better one way than the other, but I am not sure I could say which way if something is damaged already.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Jim

the only way i can lube it is to get some WD40 with the spray nozzle and try to jam it into that flush surface, both sides of the pin. Man, this jsut doesnt want to come out.

What would a gunsmith do?

well the whole point of this endeveour is that i am trying to degrease, remove the rust/finish, and then cold blue it. The easiest way to remove the whole finish is to disassemble it somewhat, so that i have complete access to the different metal and woodstock parts. The problem here is that step 1 of the disassembly guide says to remove this pin.

so short answer no, i cannot seperate the stock from the metal. how else can this liquid wrench be used?

In order to clean the gun right, I think that you will eventually have to remove the stock, but I don't think that would let you get at that spring.

What would a gunsmith do? I am not sure. I would probably just lay the receiver on a bench block with a hole under the pin, then get out the brass punch and a good size hammer. There are other possibilities, but the chance of messing up is pretty high.

If all else failed, I would center punch the pin and drill it out, but I don't think it would come to that.

Jim

Back