JB Weld to Modify AK Receiver?

DougB

I have a couple of SAR-1 stamped receiver AK-47 clones. Magazines wobble around quite loosely in one. I was looking at it, and noticed that if I lay a drill bit of the correct diameter in the little trough at the bottom of the magazine well, I could still insert and remove the magazines easily, but they were held much more solidly in place. I'm considering mounting some steel rods or bars in this location to make this a permanent fix. I don't have any experience welding. I've read about guys using something called JB Weld to attach muzzle breaks, etc. Would a product like this work in an application like this. The bars would only be "glued" on about 1/4 of their surface-where they nest into the recess in the magazine well.

If JB Weld isn't it, is there any epoxy or other adhesive, or maybe solder, that a rookie could use to make this modification?
Thanks.

Doug

Doug, JB Weld is as good as any other epoxy on the market. That sounds like a good plan for a trial but if it does indeed work I'd get the rod silver soldered or welded in. If that area ever got warm enough the epoxy can loosen the rod could move or fall out completely. George

I agree with George. I use JB Auto Weld to keep scope mounts from moving, but would use silver solder as first choice in your application.

Not all AK mags are created equal. Some wobble, and others fit quite nicely. The difference seems to be German vs. Russian vs. Chinese...you get the point, and steel vs. Bakelite (or whatever that stuff is) I'd suggest before you do something weird too your rifle, measure your mag's thickness, decide what a better thickness might be, and check 'em out at the next gun show. Also, look at www.ak-47.net forums for an answer. I doubt that your SAR-1 is out of spec, and there are a lot of fans (at ak-47.net) that have been down your road already.

Back