Javelina hunting in Arizona advice

Never hunted them there, but saw some hunting coyotes in the Prescot National forest. I'd go no further North than Chino Valley, maybe Paulden. Find the prickly pear and you will find them. Now if it was Bloody Basin, I know of a peckary honey hole in there..:D

First, find water. Anywhere there's thick brush near water (within 1/4 or 1/2 mile of it) there's likely to be javalinas.

After a really cold night, hunt later in the morning, paying particular attention to south facing or otherwise sunny areas. If the night is warm, you need to be out early, 'cause they'll usually hole up fairly early.

Javalinas like to feed on hilltops that are flat or gently rolling on top, or in bottomland that's also flat, although I've found them on steep slopes from time to time. I know one such hill that's covered in grass and agave, and I seldom fail to find javalinas there. They eat both of these along with lots of other desert plants.

Look for signs of rooting near water, and then glass early and late. In the middle of the day, I'll SLOWLY stalk through likely looking bedding areas near where I've found sign. Watch close if you do this; it doesn't take much to hide a large bunch of them, and a smaller bunch can hide anywhere.

Daryl

Back