Japanese T-94 magazines

foxfire

Differences and significance of mags with ribbed floor plates and those with smooth bottom plates.
Any other variations of the T-94 pistol?
I believe that the late-war models had slab, rather than checkered grips.
Were the blue mags also a late-war variation?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

have tape, and one ugly pistol....

Foxfire:
I don't specifically have the information you requested, however, I have attached what I have, and maybe that will help.

HJN

Harley,

As always, thanks for your help, and thanks to TFL for allowing us to share the knowledge.

After posing the same question(s) to a fellow collector/enthusiast, he responded by saying that he thought that the smooth, flat floor plates were issued during the last 18 months or so of production, and usually in conjunction with the 'slab side' wood grip models.
So the vast majority encountered today, will be the 'ridged' bottoms.
Also, he thought that while most of the magazines were/are blued, the very early ones were nickel and are more highly regarded.
Hopefully, I haven't led anyone astray.

I don't think there's any argument to the fact that this indeed was one of the worst pistols ever made.

If anyone would like to add to, or clear up any of my mis-infomation, please feel free to jump right in.
I'll be happy share any additional facts that I might come across.
Thanks and happy collecting.

have tape, and it's so ugly it's purty....

My Type 94 is dated 18.10 and has a single ridge on the base of the blued magazine.

Nambu_Type_94.jpg

Thanks johnwill for proving my case.
A single picture can say a thousand words.

That pistol fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Thanks for sharing.:)

have tape, and I once had a pistol that was so ugly that.... ;)

I don't know if I want to get into the "ugly" discussion, but that Type 94 is very clever in the way it is designed and made. It is an interesting lesson on how to make a locked breech pistol about as cheaply and easily as can be done. I like the way they milled out the frame for the lock with a single pass and then inset the side plates to cover up the cut. On the early guns, the polishing and bluing is done so well it is difficult to see where the plates are.

Jim

Jim, I noticed that cutout when I first got the T94, and I thought the thing was cracked! I was pretty unhappy until I looked closer and realized that it was just a bit too perfect a crack. It's actually pretty hard to see, but in the right light you can see the line.

Back