Japanese Matchlock Rifle - Edo Period

tbedegrew

Inactive
I was wondering if anyone has additional information about this gun regarding history and value. I have had it appraised once and this is what I received about the gun:

A Japanese matchlock gun - Edo period
60 caliber smooth bore, rounded barrel with flat panel to the top and etched with phoenix amid cloud scroll below a silver inlaid ume crest, cannon-form muzzle, block rear sight, brass lock of traditional form with trigger, blossom-form bronze escutcheons on the wooden stock with a pass-through channel for the match; stock with impressed notationMeiji 16, number 278, (corrosion, discoloration of wood).
29 3/4in (75.5cm) length of barrel
42in (106.6cm) length overall
Appraised value: $3,000 to $5,000

See attached photos (I know the images of the impressed stock are low quality, I will try to get better quality pictures soon). Please share if you may have some additional information regarding this gun and/or would be interested in possibly purchasing it.

Thank you,
-Tad

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 66
Excellent !!

WOW!!!
How neat is that?? I like all the personal touches. Have you had the writing translated ?? ...:confused:

Be Safe !!!

Way out of my area of expertise, such as it is, but I thank you for the pictures of a very nice firearm. You have contributed far more to my knowledge than I can to yours.

Jim

Back