Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifle

MoroccoDoc

Inactive
I recently obtained a Arisaka Type 99 rifle. This is supposedly a vet bring back. It still has a mum, Nayoga markings and dust cover. After diaassembling it, cleaning it, and putting it back together, I tried to load a Hornaday 7.7 shell into the receiver and it would only go in about 3/8 of an inch and then stop. After looking at it closer it appears that a shell had the bullet removed and the base sawed off and jammed into the breech. Has anyone encountered this? Any comments?

That sounds more like case separation. A Crtg. case failed during firing the head came out with the bolt extractor. The forward end of the case is stuck in the chamber. This is where you use a broken case extractor tool.:)

And the case separated for a reason, a reason like excessive headspace most likely. Get thee to a gunsmith before even thinking about firing it.

I recently obtained a Arisaka Type 99 rifle. This is supposedly a vet bring back. It still has a mum, Nayoga markings and dust cover.

This may be worth a bit of money. I would take it to a smith or experienced armor to have the case removed. Then have it inspected before firing.

The 99 is based on the Mauser action, these have very nice chrome lined barrels. The original dust cover is $100 or more.

Does it have the A/C sights? Bolt cover? Bi-pod?

I have a Nagoya Arsenal series five Arisaka.
arisaka01.jpg

A dowel from the muzzle won't help. The bullet is long gone and the opening in the case mouth is larger than the bore.

Remove the bolt and insert a tight fitting bore brush into the chamber from the breech end. Insert it about a half-inch more after you feel resistance and then pull it back out. If you're lucky the bristles will grab the neck well enough upon reversing to pull the stuck case out.

My father had a method for removing stuck cases, step 1 was to stuff a small piece of steel wool in the case up to the neck, this acts as a stop so don't fill the case with steel wool. Step 2 melt down some lead shot and pour it into the case on top of the steel wool (I guess I should mention this is all done from the receiver and not the muzzle). Step 3 knock the case out with a ramrod from the muzzle, I saw him use the trick a few times and it always worked well. As long as you can get the lead into the case it should work great.

Stu

Someone may have used a shortened 30-06 case. The case head is too small for 30-06 cases and probably the case head came off.

A guy I know poured in cerrosafe in the chamber and used a cleaning rod to knock a case out. I think that is better than pouring lead as lead is real hot!

I would try things like cleaning brushes, pour kroil around the case, anything that won't scratch the chamber.

I have had very bad luck with GI stuck case removers. They will scratch your barrel throat if used as is. If you use one of those, take the shaft off the base. Drop the shaft down the barrel and use a cleaning rod from the muzzle.

Cerrosafe would probably be a better choice, you're right about that. Lead is also toxic so again cerrosafe would probably be a better choice.

Stu

Pay attention to NavyJoe. That case separated for a reason. The most common is excessive headspace. A good gunsmith can correct the headspace or determine what caused the separation on your rifle. The Arisaka is a very solid piece and should serve you well for a long time.

Back