Japan Gun Control Laws Didn't Stop Shooting

Yakuza is the exception to all the rules in Japan :rolleyes:

Not really much to reply to the OP. This isn't the first time that's happened here. Won't be the last. The mayor could have easily been stabbed on the subway.

Well, first: I'm all for the right to own guns in the USA, and I do (and have early and often). That is my right, and I intend to always work to keep that right.

That said, one has to admit the murder rate in, say, Japan is much lower than here (less than 1/8 the murder rate in the USA). And Japan doesn't even rank on murders using firearms. To give you an idea of how low that rate is in other countries that do make the ranking, for instance, the murder by firearms rate in the UK is about 1/27th (!) of the rate in the US (while the UK murder rate is about 1/3 of the USA's).

Sad but true.

Wildalaska:

Yes, one hopes it turns out that the citizens of the rest of the first world are just less murderous than we are!

MedicineBow Well, first: I'm all for the right to own guns in the USA, and I do (and have early and often). That is my right, and I intend to always work to keep that right.

That said, one has to admit the murder rate in, say, Japan is much lower than here (less than 1/8 the murder rate in the USA). And Japan doesn't even rank on murders using firearms. To give you an idea of how low that rate is in other countries that do make the ranking, for instance, the murder by firearms rate in the UK is about 1/27th (!) of the rate in the US (while the UK murder rate is about 1/3 of the USA's).

Sad but true.

I've lived in Japan now for 2.5yrs. I can say the article below holds water.

<sigh> guess I'll post this link again

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Foreign/Japan-Gun-Control-and-People-Control.htm

Russia has some pretty strict gun control laws, but has a murder rate five times ours. It's obvious there's a difference in culture that affects the number of murders in any country.

wayneinFL Russia has some pretty strict gun control laws, but has a murder rate five times ours. It's obvious there's a difference in culture that affects the number of murders in any country.

Bingo

Perhaps the UK and Japan are just populated by more peaceful people, which explains the lower murder rates (though it doesn't do much to explain the even disproportionately lower murder by firearms rate). Who knows.

The UK does NOT have lower crime rates than here. They finagle the reporting of it to hide it just like how college campuses do so here to spare themselves of being embarassed and their failed policies and ineptitude brought to light. It is indeed true, though, that the Japanese culture is much more homogenous, disciplined, and family oriented compared to here across the spectrum. As Sean Connery said in Rising Sun "We may come from a fragmented MTV rock and roll culture, but they do not."

Something I often mention but it further bears repeating here again: using the crime rates for the US as a total for comparison of firearm freedom to no firearm freedom isn't totally valid because there are places in the US where it's very bad yet none of the freedom. Thus they should be removed from the equation. The question so often being asked is whether LEGAL gun ownership CAUSES CRIME. To accurately answer that question you have to take out the anti gun places' murder figures from the total of the US and the crimes from ineligible people possessing firearms. Removing those two factors makes the crime rates darn near nothing.

It Did In Nevada

Winnemucca is a small Northern Nevada town. Over the weekend a shooting occured in a bar there. Apparently a guy entered the establishment to shoot some folks as part of some family revenge. He killed three and wounded two. He was also killed.

He was killed by a patron with a CCW and a gun to go with it. He was released after it was determined it was justifiable homicide.

You see, some gun laws do work. The ones that allow you and me to protect ourselves.

You wanna say " Japan Gun Control Laws Didn't Stop Shooting." Likewise, I can say, "Japan Gun Control Laws keep Japanese Gun-Related Crimes at a significant low relative to gun related crimes in the U.S." Both statements work on your flawed reasoning; both are baseless.

It's a good thing Japan has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world to protect her citizens from shootings.

Well, it's a good thing Japan has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world -- otherwise, isolated incidents such as the assasination of Mayor Iccho Ito would be commonplace.

The question so often being asked is whether LEGAL gun ownership CAUSES CRIME. To accurately answer that question you have to take out the anti gun places' murder figures from the total of the US and the crimes from ineligible people possessing firearms. Removing those two factors makes the crime rates darn near nothing.

If the traffic isn't bad (but then again, 495 + 95 is almost always bad) you can go from DC to Richmond, VA in about an hour. As for gun laws, Virginia is known for having some relatively decent gun rights. The homicide rate per capita in Richmond is higher than that of DC.

"though it doesn't do much to explain the even disproportionately lower murder by firearms rate"

That's evidence that effective restrictions on firearms, squeeze the supply enough that determined individuals will find other means to kill people. It's always been an argument of mine that a large percentage of the gun related murders committed will still be committed despite gun control because, first, a percentage of killers will still get guns, second, a percentage of killers don't need guns to kill.

Wayne:

But, then, that theory doesn't explain doesn't explain the vastly lower murder rates in other first world countries, like every country in Europe and in Japan. Could it be that it's a lot easier to kill with a gun, so less "determination" is needed?

Border Issues

The last time I looked at a globe I did not see any countries bordering Japan. The Sea of Japan is a bit harder to cross then the Rio Grande River.

Back