Jammed Glock

Kristofer

Inactive
I was firing some reloads at the range tonight. Now I have a round jammed in the chamber. The slide won't lock fully into battery and I can't pull the slide back to eject the round. I've never had a problem with this pistol before. Any ideas how to fix this?

Put edge of slide on corner of a work bench/chair/table and push hard (CAREFULL IT'S LOADED).

[This message has been edited by p l i n k e r (edited June 17, 2000).]

p l i n k e r, I did as you suggested. Now the slide and barrel are fully in battery but the slide still wont retract. Any more suggestions?

P.S. It's a Glock 17 9mm

I have seen this same thing occur with several Glock 9mm's (mine included). I sent five fired cases and my sizing die to RCBS and they provided me with a "tight" sizer die. Since then I haven't had any more problems.

RCBS service is tops!

After locking the slide in a vice, we were able to eject to round. Apparently the case was larger at the bottom end. I dont know much about reloading but I was told the sizing die used had caused the problem.

Jammed Glock? I thought that was sopposed to be non-existent- like " broken rolls-royce rear spring! heh-heh-heh
crankshaft
nralife, goa, jpfo, fcsa, smvfm

If the round is properly sized, I fail to see the reason for "post-sizing", but maybe that's just me. I use Dillon carbide dies, and I've never seen any reason to size a case twice.

As far as your jam, that must have been really out of spec round, since the chamber in my 9mm Glocks is pretty loose compared to my other 9mm handguns.

Only time I've had a Glock jam, it did exactly the same thing as Kristofer's... stuck halfway into battery. Once Morgan and I muscled the buggardly thing apart, I looked more closely at the cartridges I'd brought...

Seems they weren't crimped. No one to blame but myself for that one. :o

Kristofer: Could've been worse...you could have experienced the much fabled Glock k-B! I've gotta ask: were these YOUR re-loads? If not, figure out how much you try save by buying el cheap-o re-loads and then compare to the possible price of major Glock repair and rattled nerves, if not actual pain and physical injury. Of course, you can produce your very own bad re-loads as mentioned by previous replies. There just ain't no free lunch, but it was a nice inexpensive lesson. Stay safe.

[This message has been edited by nwgunman (edited June 19, 2000).]

Don't see the need for post-sizing?? Works for me and a lot of other guys, including Dillon users. When you seat a bullet, sometimes it's not PERFECTLY alligned with the case mouth, ergo, some deformation. The Lee Factory Crimp Die takes care of this, and imparts a great crimp, to boot.

Lee taper crimp die are a must on semi autos.You have relable ammo useing it .My sig is probably the least fussy gun I have ever owned as far as ammo goes and I still use the taper crimp on it.
mwgunman;There are a lot of reloaders out here.You are trying to tell use that we allput out bad ammo?Time to rethink your stance.I have been reloading for 30 yrs and never had a KB in any firearm.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

Sorry, I just don't see the special need for the Lee crimp die. I didn't say I didn't crimp my pistol rounds, I have a separate crimp die for all my pistol calibers. I also don't have any problem producing quality ammo without using the Lee die, and I know tons of other people that have the same good luck without the Lee die.

IMO, doing what amounts to sizing the brass twice is overkill, and can only shorten the life of the brass from overwork. Since I've never had the need to do this, it seems like a useless step for me.

beemerb: Salutations and no, by no means was I implying that all handloads are necessarily hinky. My point to Kristofer was that handloads can be a source of problems if one doesn't pay attention to certain factors in the reloading process. I have seen firearms, and not just Glocks, "k-B" with both factory ammo as well as "handloads". And since you've brought it up, I have never used the relatively new "Lee taper crimp die" and have had much success in semi-auto pistol reloading and also have never blown up a pistol, even back before "carbide". Stay safe.

Back