Jammed Bushmaster shorty

thequickad

I have a post-ban Bushmaster shorty with the AK muzzle brake. Seems after about 20 rounds, the rifle would jam and cannot feed the rounds properly. Help! thanks!

Some questions and comments:

Is the rifle brand-new? It may take some breaking in. After a few hundred or more rounds through it, the bolt should feel slicker when you pull the cocking handle.

Is there oil on the bolt carrier? Most rifles come bone-dry. Some oil on the rails of the bolt carrier, and inside where the bolt slides inside the recess and on the cam pin should help. If you're breaking in a new rifle, don't be afraid to get a good glop of gun oil (NOT grease!) on there.

Are these malfs all with the same magazine? Try using a different mag only and see if that helps.

Are your mags loaded to maximum? Sometimes downloading by 1 or 2 helps. Sometimes.

Something I noticed a few weeks ago at a rifle class: a student had a rifle just like yours and he tried to shoot with the firing shoulder hunched up to get more of the buttplate on the shoulder. I said relax that shoulder, and just let the "toe" of the stock touch your shoulder. Also pull it into the shoulder. Don't forget lift the firing elbow high, not pointed at the ground.

I'm not sure why, but my suggestions eliminated his malfunctions. I'm guessing that the hunched shoulder mode led to some body flinching that robbed the semi-auto action of support at the critical moment of cycling.

Lastly, a new extractor assembly might help but the old one sounds OK. If you had extractor problems it should be hiccuping every 2-3 rounds.

About the breaking-in: I don't know if this will work but maybe just cycling the rifle by hand (and unloaded!) about a 1000 times will help.

Edmund

Thank you very much for the advise. Rifle was brand new and has been properly oiled. Seems to work fine for the first 20-rd or so and then started to extract but not feeding.
Magazine was loaded with only 10-rd and I believed the rifle has been held properly.
Base on that, I believe it was just too new and when it got heated up, it would extract but not go all the way back. I also noticed that it would not lock back after the last round when it started jamming.

tried Colt factory, Bushmaster factory and after market mags. All mags are working in another AR type rifle so I pretty much ruled on the mags. Either the rifle is too new and requires break-in. Which I never had to do with the Colts. or I have some other problem.

I also bought a new shorty AK from BM. Brought it to the range, 300 rounds of Sellor and Bellot, no problems. I used the mag that came with it and a 30rd Thermold. It sounds like it is too dry, or there is something screwy with the gun. This break in thing I think is BMs way of covering themselves. Lube it we;; (I use RemOil) Run two hundred through it and see if it clears up.

Don't settle for less. If the problem doesn't go away, call and get the gun fixed. BM will pay the shipping both ways.

First place to look at when an AR jams is the magazine. Most of the malfunctions sound like bolt overs...

Unfortunately, because of those new ridiculous laws, mfgers must ship 10 rd mags which are usually junk.

Before you ship it back, do yourself a favor and beg, buy, borrow, or steal a USGI alloy mag from one of your buddies and run a few hundred rounds through it... otherwise send it back- warning Bushmaster might have it awhile...

[This message has been edited by DeBee (edited October 31, 1999).]

If the magazines are good, then it could be the ammo. What type of ammo are you using?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I was using the Federal american eagle .223. Should be pretty good stuff. I did try several different mags and different AR type guns. It is the Bushmaster for sure. I will follow everyone's advise by lubing it well and try again. Funny thing is that it seems to be always reliable the first 20 rounds on each session. and then it starts to jam after that. I have heard similar problems on BM and it maybe a Quality issue with mine. thanks everyone. I will let you know what happens.

I had the same problem with a J&T CAR-15 upper on a DPMS lower. When the unit was new it fired a few rounds, then jammed, fired a few rounds, then jammed. In my case (no pun intended) it was due to the mags. I was using no-name 20 round mags. I think they were Pro-Mag AFAIK. Anyway, the next time at the range I used seven-round Armalite mags and it's functioned well ever since. The 20 round no-name mags worked in my Eagle Arma/Armalite M-15A2 so I thought they would work in the J&T/DPMS. Oh well, live and learn.
Speaking of J&T, I finally got to meet T of J&T at the Pomona gun show today. What a nice, cordial lady she was.
While at the Pomona gun show I was able to find some used 20 round USGI mags. From what I understand, these should work well in the J&T/DPMS CAR-15 and in Bushmasters also.
Good luck with your BM, thequickad.

Later,
Rich

Check to make sure the gas rings are staggered on the rear of the bolt (gaps not all lined up). Also don't hurt to lube the inside of bolt carrier where the bolt reciprocates.

------------------
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria

Back