James Bond Walther

Thirty_Handicap

I am basing this question entirely upon the silhouette of James Bond from the movie poster for "The World is Not Enough." Having said that, the silhouette of the gun in his hand looks like the new Walther P99, rather than his old PPK. Has anyone else noticed that?

FWIW,
Walther is putting out a 007 "special edition" P-99.
9mm w/2 16 rd. mags - $1095
.40 w/2 10 rd. mags - $1195
Special ABS case and a "certificate".

Did anyone know that in Ian Flemming's original James Bond novels Bond carried a .25 cal Berretta, which he sot expertly despite the fact that it was a weak caliber.

I think he also used hardball ammo for his carry ammo.

After his encounter with Rosa Kleb of the KGB (the Berretta silencer snagged on his coat and almost cost him his life) Q forced him to accept a larger gun than that "ladies" barretta, a 7.62mm walther ppk.

Bond was also issued a .38 caliber smith & wesson revolver which he considered a cannon.

Master,

It is not news that Bond carried a .25 cal Berretta. Anybody who has seen Dr. No is aware of that fact. By the way, It was "M" who told Bond he could either carry the PPK or resign.

What is interesting is that the chronological order of novels does not match the order of the films.

Another little factoid, most agencies who issue a sidearm for assassination type misions issue the .22 LR. The Isralies are a prime. The Mossad has been using .22 berrettas for decades. Its all you need if your good and get close enough.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Yeah, in the last Bond movie, when he's in China before the big chase scene on a motorcycle, I believe it's the Chinese leading lady gal who gives him the P99 and there is some dialogue in the movie about how it replaces the ppk - can't recall the details or whether 9mm or 40 - good movie, though. I think the new one starts today - may have to catch it tonight.

Didn't M say that, unlike the Berretta, the .380 Walther PPK hit "like a ton of bricks"?

That special edition P99 sounds pretty good. Any more info on that?

Bond's berretta also had "skeleton" grips, very small indeed (bond notes in the books that he carried the beretta for 25 years).

A friend of flemming's ( i think it was frederick forsythe) pointed out that while beretta SOUNDED cool (why he picked it) it was a "ladies gun" and the real spies over at the CIA carried walther ppks or colt "agent" revolvers in 38.

Major Boothroyd (Q) comments that the Walther has a delivery "like a brick through a plate glass window" (wonder what Q would think of an AMT back up in 45 acp???)

Bond chooses the walther over the colt and the rest is history. But Bond carries ALL KINDs of weapons as the books and movies went on. Can ANYONE figure why Bond wore a colt Python in live and let die (movie version)?

In case anyone was wondering...

The james bond Martini (the vesper)=

1.5 oz gin (it should be a mild gin like boodles NEVER EVER use tanguray)
1.5 oz vodka (stolichnaya or kristalzrisdrias)
dry vermouth rinse
shake vigourosly and serve with a twist of lemon peel "Up" in a cocktail glass.

I know way way way too much about this...

Dr.Rob

The Special edition Is called the MI6 I believe. You can see it at the "Unofficial Walther Homepage" and can order them from "Earls Repair Service"
Dave

PPK stands for" Polizei Pistole Kriminal", which transliterated, is roughly "Police or Detective's Pistol".
I have heard of the "K" in "PPK" being thought as standing for "Kurz" (German for short), as a possible reference to it being chambered in .380 (9mm Kurz/short), or "Kurz" being a reference to it being a "short" model of the Walther PP. However, anything I've read about the topic refutes the last two possible explanations in favor of the first.

I thought PP meant "police pistol" and when the compact, smaller version came out, they named it "PPK" (k = kurz/short) like we might call a small HK USP, "compact."

Does anybody have a live link or address to the pictures and info and availability of the James Bond 99? The 99 is on my list, and I may be enough of a chump to go for the Bond model.

Many thanks,

2cats

Did you know that it was just a few years ago that the British government admitted that MI5 and MI6 exist? Before that many (most) knew about them, and Ian Fleming (and others) had described MI5 and MI6 activities in books and movies, but British government officials did not officially admit those services existed. As far as I know Ian Fleming really worked in the British security during the WWII, but not in the field, and that can be seen in James Bond's gun choices.

BTW, I have often heard .22 Berettas (with silencers) mentioned as Israeli Mossad weapons. Does anyone know what Beretta models Isrelis use/have used?

Ossi

I believe the "K" stands for Kurtz (9mm short), in otherwords a 380ACP.

His Walther PPK, "hit's like a brick through a plate glass window." I didn't know that Walther was going to charge THAT much for the Special Edition P-99... you can forget that. I have the Sean Connery collection, so I watched it on Thanks Giving to see what everyone was talikng about. There was no way to tell that it was a 25ACP. I had been told that he used a Jetfire, but this gun that he turned into his boss was much bigger than a Jetfire.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited December 01, 1999).]

Hi, folks,

The word "Kriminal" in German means detective. (A detective story is a "Kriminalroman" , literally a "detective romance".) The word for criminal is "Kriminelle". The term PPK stands for "Polizel Pistole Kriminal" or Detective Police Pistol.

As for Mr. Bond, does anyone remember that after so much fuss was made about the smashing power of the 7.65mm Walther PPK, there is one scene in which Bond, holding the PPK, ducks behind a sofa and comes up with the PPK magically changed to a 1910 Browning with a "silencer". The reason is that it is easy to put a long 1922 barrel on the 1910 and that gives enough extra length to put on a fake silencer.

Jim

The real question here, of course, is which would you rather have: A new Walther P99, or day-long romp with Denise Richards, if given the choice? :)

Back