Jager .22lr AR-15 lookalike?

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
I have an AR-15 lookalike in .22lr that I just don't know much about. It is not a true clone since the operating system seems to be quite different from an AR--the safety, in particular, is a simple crossblock and it is not gas operated. However, the dimensions seem just about right, the sights are the same, it looks closer to an AR15 than most clones I've seen, and it accepts the standard bayonet with no problem.
The reciever is stamped "ARMI JAGER LOANO ITALY--AP74--22LR--CAT 7406" The grips also bear the Jager logo. Inside the carrying handle cutout is stamped "E.M.F. CO STUDIO CITY--CAL"

I assume the rifle was manufactured by Jager and imported by EMF, but that's all I know. No one seems to know any more than that. I'd be interested in getting one more if they're still available, but more interested in a flash suppressor and a few extra magazines (Dad and I broke the plastic flash suppressor long ago and glued it back together intermittently for years, but a few weeks ago it went flying downrange and was gone.) Everyone who sees this gun thinks it's great but nobody has a clue where it came from, including my dad who purchased it. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Don:
I have sent you the assem/disassem on the AP47. There is a very brief hisroty of the gun included. If you need parts, go to

Search: then
gunparts.com

you should be able to get parts there.

HJN

Wow...quick service. Thanks!

If you sent the email to dgwinn@monm.edu, though, I won't get it because I lost that account when the new school year started (I is a college gradyate.)

If it's not too much trouble, could you send it to dmgwinn@ctllc.net? Thanks!

Thanks, Harley. I just sent you one. If it doesn't get there I'll know something is seriously wrong with this account too. It doesn't show a problem but I haven't gotten any mail for several days which is odd for me.

I should change the account in the profile but I'd have to change my whole account--again. Perhaps just a signature with the correct address in it.

Thanks, Cougar, I will.

And thanks, Harley. Your emails came through and I've already printed them out. The first thing I noticed was that, although the models and markings are all perfect matches, the AP-74 pictured in the disassembly instructions has a selector switch! Mine only has a cross-button safety placed where you can't use it with a firing grip--it has to be operated by the left hand to go off safe.

Does anybody know if that's a functional safety, or just a decorative piece? I assume it was added after mine was manufactured. If it was functional, I'd look into modifying mine to match. This would be a perfect little .22 if that one oversight were corrected.

Hmmmm....well, now I have a new problem. I followed the directions but I can't complete the first step of disassembly! Can somebody tell me what I've done wrong here? It's supposedly similar to an AR-15. So far I've:

1. Removed the magazine and cycled the action to cock the internal hammer.

2. Put the safety in the ON position.

3. Drifted out the large pin at the rear of the lower receiver.

4. Tried to lift the upper action upward at the rear, clear of the lower, as the directions say I should.

The problem is, the pin is easy to remove but the action will NOT separate. I haven't tried a great deal of force because I don't want to break something, but it seems rock solid. I've tried it with every combination of safety ON/OFF and hammer cocked/uncocked that I can think of, since the directions made that seem important, but nothing helps. Can anybody help me out with this?

The action tube guide assembly may be sticking out ot the buttstock a little too far, thus impeding the opening of the upper receiver.
Perhaps unscrewing slightly the buttstock may solve your problem enough for you to open up the action and investigate more fully.

I've already removed the stock once but I didn't realize the tube could move that far. I'll check that first thing when I get home. Thanks!

ap74-11f.jpg

http://mem.tcon.net/users/5010/5491/m16copy.htm

Disassembly Procedure

From "Soldier of Fortune" magazine, July 1987, "Assault Rifle Look-Alikes" by Peter G. Kokalis:

"Disassembly procedures are the same for the AK-22, Galil-22 and MAS-22. Remove the magazine
and clear the chamber. Make sure the hammer is cocked. Push in the bolt stop/cover latch and lift off
the receiver cover. Push the cup-shaped, recoil-spring holder forward about an inch and lift off the
bolt stop/cover latch. Relieve pressure on the recoil spring and withdraw the recoil spring assembly to
the rear. Retract the bolt fully rearward and lift up and out of the receiver. No further disassembly is
required. Reassemble in the reverse order"

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited September 05, 2000).]

FAL, as near as I can tell, the tube is in the proper position. It looks to be crimped into another, shorter base tube on the back of the lower reciever. It is exactly the length it has to be for the stock to fit right (the stock is attached via one screw in the back end of the tube, so they have to align) and the crimp shows no sign of failing, nor can I pull the tube farther out with any reasonable pressure.

DZ, that site is great! Unfortunately, though that's the right picture, the disassembly info is for a different brand that operates differently and he doesn't have other instructions posted. I plan to email the webmaster as soon as my email comes back online; maybe he'll know a trick. I'm just about tapped out here. All I could think of was to spray solvent into every opening and leave it to loosen while I'm up here, but I can't imagine a sticky fit would be enough to lock it together so solidly. OTOH, I don't think it's been apart since the very early 80's. Dad has forgotten both where he bought it and how to get it apart.

Is there any way that the bolt assembly can back out or not fully close due to crud buildup? While the buttstock is off look/feel in the hole that the action assembly rides in (in the upper receiver) and see whether or not it is sticking out far enough that it prevents opening.

Back