Jagdterriers

MP-44

Anyone else own one? If so what game do you hunt? How difficult was he to obedience train?

I have had mine since he was 7 weeks, he is now 9 months. After having mine for these so many months and seeingg what he was capable of, I came to the conclusion that using him on anything less than a T-REX was a waste of his talent.

You guys have got my attention. What the heck are they? How big sociable etcetc. I'm looking for a good general purpose dog that ok with kids and a decent hog hunter as well.

I can't speak about the hogs but as I type this my jag is having a ball running around the house with the kids. He is very people oriented. I must admit though that he is extremely hardheaded.

When he was 5 months old he charged the local tom cat. I had seen this cat back down large dogs with a few swipes of his paws. This pup just charged right in and after a few seconds that tom had had enough and was heading for parts unknown with my jag pup close behind. Luckily the cat made it over a fence, when I caught up to my jag he was trying to get thru the fence, his ears and nose was scratched and bleeding and he had a mouth full of cat hair. He looked a little dissapointed that the cat got away. This from just a 5 months old pup. At 4 months he ran down a rat(not mouse) in our field and killed it. At 9 mos he will go after a 1500 lb steer or a ? lbs ostrich. And the teeth are abnormally large on these dogs. Its funny to see a 20lb dog with teeth the size of my 112lb rotty. They also seem to have really good noses. I have never trained him but just recently found out how good he can track. I dragged a dead squirrel about 100yds down thru an over grown field. I let the dog out of the house where we had him in his pen. I didn't even have to lead him to where I started dragging the squirrel and within a minute he had found the squirrel. I was impressed.

I purchased mine on a whim after reading about one killing an adult fisher.

h&h hunter, they aren't large dogs and mine love people. but they have huge hearts & lots of fight in em. i used to use catahula's but it seemed like they were a lot slower and the hogs were always cutting them up. these jags are so fast that i've never had one hurt in the 2 years i've been using them. 187

OK guys now I'm stoked up. Where do you find information on these where can I see one or at least a picture of one? Do you know any reputable breeders around? And how many does it tkae to effectivley hunt hogs. I generally use 3 to 4 hounds on hog but I'm sick of having my dogs recycled every time the get into a fracus.

Whats the breeding are the an aridale derivative or what?

h&h mine will scent trail hogs and are silent on the trail till they catch up to a hog. unlike the catahoulas i had they don't try to catch & hold a pig,but instead attack and retreat from all angle's. i've seen my three keep a pig spining till he falls over. only problem i have with them is getting them to pull back long enough to make a shot, once they are on a pig they don't want to quit the fight. 187

btw, one of mine (edge) is a heck of a squirell dog by hisself. but when he is with the other two he knows its all about hogs. 187

Back