Jackl Rabbit Down..X3

blackwater1825

So today I went on my first hunt by my self locally. Used my WASR 10, rifle has about 8000 rounds through and its my favorite rifle. Got 3 Jacks today using Hornady SST. Let me tell you, each rabbit there was nothing but red spray and just arms and legs left..kind of wanted the pelts so next time I'll use the ar maybe.

Lots of views, no comments? Any advice? 7.62x39 too much for a jack? These guys stand almost 2 ft tall just sitting there for the bigger ones. It was exciting, I have unlimited wooded areas 100's of acres to roam..first one was just sitting there, flicked the safety off and I saw his ear twitch so I felt I had not to much time to pull. I hit him right behind the left arm and that SST round really shinned. You ever see a .50 cal hit an FBI spec gel block in slow motion? Thats what it was like, never seen anything like it.

I had a good idea of what would happen. Just wanted to see what the ak could do. It was pretty fun, Ill use the 22 next time because an ar would probaboly do the same thing as the ak huh?

Jack rabbits are scary. But right behind them are these huge mounds of dirt so it wasnt unsafe if thats what you mean by scary..don't know what is scary about jack hunting..its fun.

I dont mind blowing up stuff with high powered rifle and varmit bullets if Im shooting pest like ground hogs damaging crops or something that kills chickens or other livestock like coyotes , racoons and such . If Im small game hunting I use my 10/22 . AR with hunting bullets would blow up rabbits more than the ak so there would be no difference there . I guess if one of the Hares turned and charged at you you had 8000 rounds to fight him off .

Last edited:
I can't imagine that Jackrabbit skins have much value except to the Jackrabbits. Sort of like prairie dogs, as long as you have a safe place to shoot them, shoot them with whatever you want, I have shot prairie dogs with a .25-06 and 7 Mag before, why, because that was what I had at the time.

Back when you could find a Jack rabbit around here, a hit with a jsp from my ar resuted in fur floating in the breeze and little else.

Back during the Texas drouth of the 1950s, a report from Texas A&M claimed that seven jackrabbits ate as much grass as a cow.

Maybe so, maybe no. Irrelevant. But it turned many a rancher into a night-time jackrabbit shooter--much to the game wardens' dismay, as they just absolutely knew we were poaching deer. :)

An 80-grain flat-nosed .32-20 bullet in an '06, ahead of around 55 grains of 3031, has a muzzle velocity near 4,000 ft/sec. That does all manner of obscene and terrible things to a jackrabbit.

"Disassembly" is a reasonable word. :D

Co. thinks that one should eat jackrabbits after you kill them. SO, getting violent expansion so as to render them inedible is important. When using a .223 with expanding bullets I found that if you intentionally gut shoot them you get sufficient liquid to insure the needed destruction and actually a quicker death for the rabbit. Same thing has proven to be true about other small rodents. The "lung shot" on these small critters doesn't always provide enough resistance to give violent bullet performance.

I was watching a prairie survival reality show on national geographic channel. In the episode I saw, the re-enactors went hunting. 2 took .22 rifles one took a lever gun in what appeared to be 30-30. The girl with the 30-30 saw the rabbit and took the shot. There was a big, big hole in that rabbit. Kind of a waste when you're meat (or fur) hunting.

Personally, I don't think your results are unexpected. I'd take a .22 if I were rabbit hunting for meat or fur.

Glad you got a few.

From time to time I've read comments from people who've tried to eat jackrabbit meat.

Consensus: Tough, chewy, stringy, not worth the bother.

Maybe in desperate hunger, as stew--after lengthy boiling.

When eating jack rabbit you can consider the parasitic bots (boil looking lumps) a special spice. The way to cook a jack rabbit is to put it on a pine plank. Sun dry it for 2 days and bake @ 350 degrees for 2 hours. Then throw away the rabbit and eat the plank.

I live in jack country, and have eaten many of them in the past, and still occasionally do. Ours seem to be clean and disease free, and I stick to the medium size for cooking, not the big boys.

I cut the meat off the bone (hind legs mainly), brown it with flour in a skillet, add mushroom soup, a dollop of wine and a chopped onion. (other favorite seasonings if you've got them) Simmer the whole skillet (covered) in the oven at 325 for an hour or two. Add water or more wine when it needs it. Serve over rice or taters, and believe me you'll like it. This same basic recipe would probably make a skunk taste pretty good. jd

I've eaten a few So. California jackrabbits, and the texture is no differnet than a cottontail. "Tough" "Chewy" or "Stringy", (whatever that means), are not words I'd use to decribe it. It cooks up like any other game. To me, it just didn't taste very good. For that matter, Ca. cottontails aren't all that tasty eaither when compared to Ohio cottontails. The dessert diet is not conducive to good taste. Obviously, if you are going to eat them, my choice of 22LR or 20 guage worked well. After eating a couple, it was just as fun to take those really long shots with my 7mm Rem Mag without expectations of salvaging meat. They were mostly hunted as varmints.

Back