Jacketed Soft Point?

i take it your talking 357, dem's be for huntin.

I am confident they would leave a nasty wound regardless, but those penetrate a little too deep and probably wouldn't expand a whole lot before making it out the other side. do the job? yes....as good as a JHP, no

if your talking a different caliber, I don't know, never used them in anything but 357 or other revolver calibers. not sure how they would fare in something smaller, could be a good option for those .45's that don't like HP's

Isn't the JSP the type of bullet that led to the ban on easily expanding ammo in warfare per The Hague Convention of 1899?

I guess you could call dum-dum soft-points in a way. soft points are extremely effective at mid-high velocity calibers, but do very little at 2k and under. it's a good hunting bullet if you needs to penetrate a good ways and the mild expansion is a just a bonus over an FMJ. in a high velocity rifle, SP's are sometime the best combination of penetration, expansion and staying in one piece. although new monolithic designs will probably put the SP out of commission someday.

They have been popular against reactive steel targets, like USPSA poppers and NRA Action Pistol falling plates.
They flatten out some and add a little oomph to hasten the steel to fall.
Not more than a swc, except they feed better in some pistols.

There are lots of variations out there , try not to generalize.
Jacket - pure copper , 5 % tin , 10 % tin etc. Thickness ,shape with or without slits.
Core - pure lead or various alloys [usually tin or antimony]
My long time favorite for the 44mag ,Speer SWC-JHP, hardest lead alloy made .Very accurate for Metallic Silhouette, excellent for hunting [only recovered bullet went through 30" of deer ] .
Today I use Barnes all copper another good one as is Swift A frame.

So do tests and pick your favorite !!:)

They will make a hole. And holes are not good for the health of the one holed.

But . . . the primary purpose of the (357) JSP is for lever action rifles. A rifle will push them (a 158gn) 1600 to 1800 fps or so, and at those velocities, will mushroom nicely. For hunting, they'll take deer at 100 yrds or so. (I'm not a hunter, but this is my understanding.)

I guess you could call dum-dum soft-points in a way. soft points are extremely effective at mid-high velocity calibers, but do very little at 2k and under.

I can understand handgun and rifle bullets behaving differently due to vastly different velocity regimes.

I do believe it is fair to characterize the semi-jacketed bullets produced at the British Dum Dum Arsenal in India as JSPs. As I recall black-powder rifle cartridges typically fired lead bullets that were of large caliber. When smokeless powder came along velocities went up, lead bullets had to be jacketed to prevent lead fouling of barrels, and calibers had to shrink to manage recoil. I think the British Martini rifle was rechambered from something like .45 caliber to .30 caliber, but the fully jacketed clean holes punched through unruly fanatical natives, often Islamists in west Asia and Africa, didn't have the stopping power of the slow, big-caliber, black-powder rounds. Outnumbered troops got nervous when their weapons don't drop the natives before they close within sword-swinging distance, the exact situation the US Army was facing against Islamists in the Phillipines.

The Dum Dum Arsenal responded by producing SJPs that, out of the Martini, mushroomed upon impact leaving very effective wounds in the natives. For some reason the Germans complained about the cruelty of using such rounds. In 1899 at The Hague, an international convention formally banned the use of bullets that readily expand in conflicts between signatories, with only Britain and the US objecting. The Hague Convention now has the status of the international law of war, so despite never signing it, the US must now abide by it.

Interesting to hear that SJPs don't expand at handgun velocities.

I have used them for handgun hunting deer. So far 2 deer with them. Both had expanded, one leaving a big exit wound, the other lodging in the off shoulder with great expansion and a ruined shoulder. Years ago I saw a guy who took two 158 grn. Soft points to the chest. Very ugly exit wounds. One bullet found in window frame was flattened out. It appears it was well on its way to expansion before it hit the wood frame per the ME.

I like them for deer but use speer or others for SD.

Back